Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Steps to cure Fuel Pump noise in ham radio or CB

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by corv78, April 26, 2002.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. corv78

corv78 New Member

City, State:
    Eldersburg, MD
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '02 Sport Trac
    Hi Folks,

I finally cured the RFI noise being radiated by my fuel pump. I figured it would be best to start a new thread with the fix. Additional pics and instructions: http://www2.97vette.com/sporttrac/rfi_fix/rfi_fix.html

The dealer installed Ford part F1PZ-18B925-A in the fuel tank on the leads going to the fuel pump, but I still had an S7 - S8 noise level on all bands, all modes. The fuel tank is metal and I thought that the Ford RFI filter would have fixed things, but it didn't. After reading some suggestions and links from folks on this forum I decided to create my own filter.

I picked up 4 Radio Shack snap-on RF chokes, some 18 Gauge wire, and some quick-disconnect butt connectors. I also had some T-50-2 toroids laying around. I figured I'd add them to my homebrew filter - but they are not required! Many people have used just the 4 Radio Shack RF Chokes and reported all was well! Also, some have used thicker than 18 Gauge wire and reported no problems. Here's what I did:

First, I dropped the spare tire on my Sport Trac so I could get easier access to the fuel pump wires. The power leads on the 2002 ST are pink w/ black strip (+) and black (-). Your Explorer or other Ford vehicle may be different so a wiring diagram or volt meter might be necessary to find the right wires.

[​IMG]

I cut the power leads and installed butt connectors on them.

[​IMG]

Then I created my RFI filter using 7 turns per RF choke. It's not important that you put in exactly 7 turns. If you can get more in the toroid, try it. It's not a science that this is perfect, you're just trying to keep the RF generated from the fuel pump from flowing along the wires to the rest of the vehicle.

[​IMG]

I put the assembly in place and tested.

[​IMG]

Finally, I wrapped all connections in tape and secured the assembly to a hose.

[​IMG]

This totally eliminated any noise that the fuel pump was creating. Thanks to all of you who helped me with your suggestions, comments, etc. You've been a great help!

Pat N3GWZ

Last edited: July 19, 2007
  2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. ^Hollywood^

^Hollywood^ New Member

City, State:
    Columbus, GA
    '94 STX
    Glad to hear that this worked for you corv78. Now I don't feel so bad about having to drop the tank and the Ranger to do the same to it.

4. Ray Hutchinson

Ray Hutchinson Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Dana Point, CA
    '93 XLT
    Good Job!!!

Pat,

Thanks for the info and great pics of the "cure" which is the scourge of HF Ops with Ex's. As soon as I get the fuel tank level down a bit, I'll drop my tank and do a similar installation. If memory serves, (I dropped the tank about 3 yrs ago to install the in-tank filter) there isn't room on the '93 Ex to access the wires and splice into them, so down the tank comes!

ALso, good to know that the RS torroids will work, as I can just run downtown to pick those up. Just a thought... what do you think of sealing the connections with some sort of "gum" like coax-seal, then taping...just to be sure to keep water and corrosion out of the connectors.

All in all, great job and good info! :D

5. becker69

becker69 Active Member

City, State:
    Centennial, CO
    01 Sport Trac
    Pat; well, hopefully I wasn't wrong when I told you that this site is awesome for tech help and good answers.... Thanks for the good photos this is a fix I am keeping in mind that I may have to do (and probably should have done, when I had my Ranger). Take it easy.
    :)
    Becker69

6. corv78

corv78 New Member

City, State:
    Eldersburg, MD
    '02 Sport Trac
    Thanks all!

Ray, I used some 3M splicing tape on the connectors before wrapping everything in the stickiest electrical tape I had. I picked up the splicing tape a few years ago at a hamfest. I don't know if they make it anymore but it is very elastic "rubber" which you stretch and then wrap your connection. It "sucks" itself around the connection for excellent protection. But, yes, I'd recommend using some sort of sealant or dielectric grease (which is water repellent).

Pat

7. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Boston Area
    2003 Ranger Edge
    corv78,
    Here's to you for good pics and info, tnx.

:chug: :chug: :chug: :chug: :chug: :chug:

I will save this in my Truck Club Folder also, if that is OK.

Thanks Again,
    :usa: :chug: :ca:

8. Paul Gagnon

Paul Gagnon Poseur SUV Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Sherwood Park, Alberta eh?
    1992 XLT
    "Rubber tape" as it's known is still in common use. We use it at work for weather proofing connectors on transmission lines and antennae. I'm not sure what sizes you can buy it in. The most common size that I run into at work is 3" wide.

I like the choke and toroid idea. I probably have a few lieing around but I'm not all the picky about RFI since I only have a cheap Cobra 19 Ultra II cb and no other radios. I don't hear the fuel pump with mine but I do hear the wipers and window motors so I just turn up the squelch to get rid of any noise.

9. corv78

corv78 New Member

City, State:
    Eldersburg, MD
    '02 Sport Trac
    Sandy - glad I could add something of value to your Truck Club Folder!!!

I submitted the instructions for the homebrew filter to Rick for inclusion in the tech tips...

Thanks, all, for your help!

10. srvblues00

srvblues00 Active Member

City, State:
    Denver, NC
    94 Sport / 88 Turbo Stang
    Are the pics out there on the net somewhere? I have been gone all summer, just got back, and now they're gone! My fuel pump noise is so bad my CB is basically useless when the engine is running. thx!

11. corv78

corv78 New Member

City, State:
    Eldersburg, MD
    '02 Sport Trac
  12. Golfmore

Golfmore New Member

City, State:
    Centennial
    92 XL
    Where can one get the schematic please? Thanks.

13. Alfredo

Alfredo Member

City, State:
    Buenos Aires - Argentina
    94 XLT
    Toroids

Hi guys, I need your help:
    I'm buildng my RFI filter but I can't get the T-50-2 toroids here In Argentina.
    Where can I buy the parts in USA?
    If you know some place in Miami where I can buy them using Internet, I would prefer it, because I have friends in Miami, so they can bring me the toroids.
    Thanks in advance.

14. forcheck

forcheck New Member

City, State:
    Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
    2002 Sport Trak
    I also have a 2002 sport trak and have a Galaxy 99 in it. I had no place to mount it so I have seat covers on the leather seats with pouches on the back and put it in there. I ran all the wires into the bottom of the pouch I have a wilso 5000 magnetic mount antenna and a 100 wat bilinear. Where do you have your radio and do you get good distance

15. IBJEDI

IBJEDI Member

City, State:
    Sunnyside,WA
    94 Limited
    A while back I used to run a Ranger RCI-2950 opened up......God I miss that radio :( If I were to get another one for my ex (94) would I be looking at the same mods listed for optimum modulation? Thanks.

16. erniegc

erniegc New Member

City, State:
    TN
    '93 Limited
    Hi, Your pictures didn't make it with the post. I too am having a lot of fuel pump noise on HF to the extent that I had to abandon HF mobile operations. So if you would share again I would be grateful.

17. shamaal

shamaal Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Friensdwood, Texas
    91 Mazda Navajo
    See post 10 and follow link. I can see the pics, they take 15 seconds to load.

18. corv78

corv78 New Member

City, State:
    Eldersburg, MD
    '02 Sport Trac
    Please see: http://www2.97vette.com/sporttrac/rfi_fix/rfi_fix.html

I hope this helps!

73, N3GWZ