Stereo Cuts Out | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stereo Cuts Out

explorer82EB

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I have a 99 Explorer Eddie Bauer with the Mach stereo system (no disc changer). Whenever I'm driving on bumpy roads or cornering the stereo volume (not display) cuts out. This has happened before while the vehicle was under warranty 10 years ago. The dealership indicated that there was a spring loose in the steering wheel controls or somewhere in the wiring that as basically 'turning off the volume'. They indicated that they adjusted this spring and the problem went away. Anybody else have this problem or know what this spring might be?

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would start by wiggling every wire on the back of the head unit then the amps almost possitive its in the harness behind the head unit

I've pulled the head unit and all connections are tight. The stereo seems to cut-out during corniering exactly the way it did previously with the wheel control issue. Any other thoughts?

I have had a mechanic shop check all the wires and they cannot find the issue. Through some other reading I think it may be the steering wheel volume control pod or the clock spring. Anyone have any thoughts?

Possibly the rear controls are intermittent.

Back