Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Stereo Cuts Out

Discussion in 'Explorer Audio & Navigation' started by explorer82EB, August 25, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. explorer82EB

explorer82EB New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1999 Explorer Eddie Bauer
    I have a 99 Explorer Eddie Bauer with the Mach stereo system (no disc changer). Whenever I'm driving on bumpy roads or cornering the stereo volume (not display) cuts out. This has happened before while the vehicle was under warranty 10 years ago. The dealership indicated that there was a spring loose in the steering wheel controls or somewhere in the wiring that as basically 'turning off the volume'. They indicated that they adjusted this spring and the problem went away. Anybody else have this problem or know what this spring might be?

Thanks,

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. 97EDB

97EDB New Member

City, State:
    yankton,SD
    97 eddie bauer
    i would start by wiggling every wire on the back of the head unit then the amps almost possitive its in the harness behind the head unit

4. explorer82EB

explorer82EB New Member

I've pulled the head unit and all connections are tight. The stereo seems to cut-out during corniering exactly the way it did previously with the wheel control issue. Any other thoughts?

5. explorer82EB

explorer82EB New Member

I have had a mechanic shop check all the wires and they cannot find the issue. Through some other reading I think it may be the steering wheel volume control pod or the clock spring. Anyone have any thoughts?

6. scucci

scucci Active Member

98 Sport
    Possibly the rear controls are intermittent.