Stereo display sometimes doesnt lite up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stereo display sometimes doesnt lite up

01eddie

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Forks, North Dakota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Eddie Bauer 5.0 V8
Driving around, I notice that on occasion the clock/radio LCD is out, sometimes at startup, or comes on goes of while driving. It functions correct probably 80% of the time, and the stereo always sound fine, even when the display is off. What gives?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OMG! so this is a recurring problem... I cant believe how widespread of a problem this is- I just cant. Really! I'm Speachless. speachless, speachless. unbelievable.

this happened to my 99 EB too, i ended up just buying a new stereo for it, there isn't much you can do to fix it.

I guess I will pull the stereo and try to see if the contacts for the face plate can be cleaned. The display now only works about 50% of the time, so I better try something. It has the dual media option w/ changer and steering wheel controls, so I don't want to go to an aftermarket unit. But $500 seems like a spendy fix. If it didnt have the clock on the face to it would be livable, but that makes it a very annoying problem indeed.
Oh well, cars stop working about this time every year, but I allready replaced the battery about a week ago so I thought I was in the clear :)

My stock Ford AM/FM/Cass/CD MACH radio display did go out. It seems like this is a common problem with Ford radios. The local Ford dealer will only replace it with a new one for about $700. I found full radio service with lifetime warranty for the display and 3 years for the radio at Trevor Wilcox, Pacific Audio, 603 School Street SE, Olympia WA 98503 (trouble_shooter@att.net). The cost was $155.00 including return shipping.The turn-around time was approx 2 weeks. The radio display and other function works great. Oh, radio removal was a breeze with a $7 Ford OEM removal tool from my local auto parts store.

Back