• Register Today It's free!

Stereo-Head Unit Compatibility

jg5179a

Reaction score
City, State
Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
99' Eddie Bauer 4wd
Hey all- as I'm sure we have all encountered at some point or another, the light on my head unit has gone. It's doing the typical fade-in/fade-out when it feels like it and I have finally decided to upgrade it. I have 99' Eddie Bauer Explorer with the Mach Audio system (also has 6-disc CD changer).

I was looking on Crutchfield for a compatible head unit but it is only giving me single-sized head units when I need a double sized unit to fill the space and I can't seem to find any units that are compatible with a 99' explorer. Preferably, I want a unit with Ipod compatibility. I'm looking to spend around $200 for the unit, but all suggestions are welcome.

If anyone can help me out on this, I would appreciate it. Even though the light on the current head unit has "burned out," it is in mint condition. If I can complete this upgrade, I'd be willing to send my stock head unit to anyone in need, FREE of charge, as long as you pay shipping.

Thanks -Joe

In mine, I've got the single size head unit with a little tray/compartment type thing to fill the gap below. As far as i know, most are like that. I don't know where I'd even look to find a double size head unit.

edit- mine looks just like this
1255260014_large.jpg

Looks good- i like that set-up. Where did you get the spacer/compartment?

Back