1. Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

sticking gauges

Discussion in 'Modified Explorations!!' started by miahmoore, January 28, 2002.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. miahmoore

miahmoore New Member

City, State:
    Offutt AFB, NE
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '99 XLT 5.0 & '92 XLT
    I seem to be having a small problem. ABout 2 months ago I installed white gauges on my "99, as of last week whenever it gets cold (let the X sit overnight) my tach and speedo stick. It's only temporary because whenever the truck warms up the gauges beginto work properly. Could this be caused by my white gauges or what? My only problem is that I live in Nebraska and it averages below freezing for most of the winter if anyone has an idea please let me know. Thanx for the help.

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. RichTek

RichTek New Member

City, State:
    Pierre, SD
    1991 XLT
    Did you get it resolved? I have the same problem with my tach.

4. miahmoore

miahmoore New Member

City, State:
    Offutt AFB, NE
    '99 XLT 5.0 & '92 XLT
    now that the temp has risen it doesn't seem to occur as often but once in a while it does. I took the dash apart and recentered the white gauges it seems to help. if any part of the white gauges touches the shaft to the speedo or tach they stick. You can also resolve this by trimming some of the white gauges back(make the circle larger. Hope you get this resolved. I know sticking gauges is very annoying

5. 231Saleen

231Saleen New Member

City, State:
    Tampabay,Florida
    96 XLT - 00 Body
    When i had the aftermarket white faced guages. They stuck when it was cold outside. To resolve this problem take your fist and slug your plastic guage sheild a couple of times. It also works good as a stress releiver. Now i cant do it :-( bought the whole saleen cluster.

6. Fish Man

Fish Man Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Chattanooga TN
    1995 Explorer XLT
    well crap, just got my home made white face gauges installed and put the whole thing back together and on my test run, the speedo needle is sticking. its not worth it to pull it all apart again considering how much stuff has to come off to get to the gauges. ill see if it annoys me enough. oh wait, this coudlnt effect the odometer in anyway, could it?

7. checkedout

checkedout Active Member

City, State:
    Falling Waters WV
    1996 Explorer XLT
    Mine were doing this as well. I just fixed them. I took them off and enlarged the hole then when re-installing I used a little gluestick just near the holes.

8. BeauJ

BeauJ Moderator Emeritus

I have a similar prob. on mine with the reverse glow gauges, the RPM gauge is fine for a while then it starts sticking reguardless of weather, but i doesnt really bother me since everything else works fine

9. 1forsnow

1forsnow New Member

City, State:
    illinois
    99 saleen xp8 #17
    my saleen did the same thing. what i found was the needle was pushed in too far. when i had it apart, i could easily move the needle with my finger. but for some reason it still stuck when i put it back together. so i took it apart again and backed the needle off the pin(maybe 1/16 in.) and it has worked perfect ever since. that was over a year ago.

10. Chris Collorafi

Chris Collorafi New Member

City, State:
    Garnerville, NY
    99 explorer sport
    yeah, i never had that problem with mine but i have had it on customers cars when i was installing them, just back the meedle off a hair like 1forsnow said, but not too far cause if it comes off all the way, they are a pain in the butt to them to read properly.

11. udmsvt

udmsvt Well-Known Member

City, State:
    MI
    '97 Limited 5.0 AWD
    my tach used to stickon mine around 2-3k when cold....i ended up taking it out, putting new tape on teh underside (more tape) and opened up teh holes a little....not a problem since:D

12. TracerBullett

TracerBullett New Member

City, State:
    Miami, FL
    '02 Sport Trac
    take a little clear silicone and put it on the back of the aftermarket faces so they stick to the stock faces. The indiglo or reverse glow tend to bow out a bit and this will keep them from bowing. Make sure the silicone cures a bit before putting the cluster back together. I suggest a couple of spots of silicone maybe elmers glue will work but haven't tried that.

Be warned, the stock faces will have silicone residue that won't come off, if you take the aftermarket faces back off and it will be visible, not damaged but visible.

13. Fish Man

Fish Man Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Chattanooga TN
    1995 Explorer XLT
    well then why dont you just use something like rubber cement?