• Register Today It's free!

Sticky Tach

4pointsl0w

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Explorer XLT 4.6
I'm posting this because I'm planing on removing the instrument cluster in my '99 ranger. The tachometer either sits at zero or comes back to life with a punch to the top of the dash. I've read countless other threads about people with the needle sticking at 3500 rpm and even other posts with just the same problem i have. When the needle works, it works fine. Though I can't find anyone who can conclude how to fix the problem I have. I am 95% sure that my needle is just old and tired and doesn't want to move. I don't believe there are any bad connections on the system board. But my question is if it is possible to remove just the tachometer needle controller from the instrument cluster to replace it with a new one? If it isn't possible, can something be done to make the old needle work? The needle has been doing this since the truck had about 280000km and it has progressively gotten worse (dis functional more frequent). It usually happens after the truck has been driving for about 5 mins but it almost always works right when I start it. After I hit the dash, it will keep working for about 5 mins or so before going back to sleep. Even bumps in the road will wake it up. Everything else in the cluster works just as it should. My ranger has 351000km on it which I think is about 220000 miles. Its got the 4.0 pushrod and its a 4x4 model with the off road package. I appreciate any advice or info.

Back