Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Stock 6 CD Changer problems

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by bulldog1986, August 2, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. bulldog1986

bulldog1986 New Member

City, State:
      Oshkosh, WI
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1997 Limited "Black"
      Hello all, fairly new to the forums and not the most mechanically savvy, though thats what we have family for (my brother is the mechanic in the family lol).

Had a quick question for you guys, I was recently checking the fuses on the audio system (mainly because my subwoofer in the back stopped working altogether, fairly sure the Amp might be shot) and pulled it out, checked it quick and put it back in. A while later after leaving the vehicle to sit for a bit, I had to go somewhere, and as I turned on the CD player, it went through every single disc and every one of them displayed the same thing on the console "Bad CD" and kept moving on to the next one. Is the CD player corrupted? Any ideas on what to do? I have a head unit I could use to replace it, but I would much rather use the stock for now until I am ready to replace the sub and amp in the back with the stuff I have.

1997 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 w/90K miles

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. drdoom

drdoom Well-Known Member

City, State:
      VA
      2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
      Sorry, no help here, but mine does the same thing.

4. bulldog1986

bulldog1986 New Member

City, State:
      Oshkosh, WI
      1997 Limited "Black"
    5. jad2411

jad2411 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      El Paso, TX
      2007 Brown eb
      There are several threads regarding this, did you tried searching?

Unplug the cd changer, there is a red plug, leave it unplugged for a few mins and then plug it back in, it will do the self test again and might reset itself and work for a while, then die again.
      You do the same process until you get tired and replace it, or it no longer works...
      Good luck :thumbsup:

6. 92muddyXJ

92muddyXJ New Member

City, State:
      Indianapolis
      97 Sport 4x4
      Mind did it, so I picked up another changer from pic a part and it worked...untill it did the same thing. I switched back and finally had enough of it. I just bought a new Pioneer head unit with the single cd player but with USB so it works with a flash drive or Ipod and just took the cd changer out and am now enjoying a center console with twice the amount of room in it, lol.

7. Steeda04SVT

Steeda04SVT Active Member

City, State:
      Kansas City, MO
      1997 Eddie Bauer Explorer
      How hard is it to remove the stock 6 disc changer? I'm thinking of just taking it out all together since it doesn't work.