• Register Today It's free!

Stock 6-disc Changer Error

RammaR

Reaction score
City, State
Franklin, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 4x4
I"ve got a '96 with the stock 6-disc changer mounted in the center console. Suddenly it has decided to go on strike and stop playing cd's. Its not a "jam", if the cassette has 6 cd's then it will cycle through each one.

For example it will load the first cd, you can hear it spin up briefly and the display reads 01-01, then it spits it out without playing a sound and moves on to the next disc. This repeats for however many discs are in the cassette and then at the end it reads "No CD" on the main display. It doesn't seem to have any problem loading or ejecting the cassette or each cd, just doesn't feel like playing them now.

Doing some searches I found threads about cd's getting stuck, but noting quite like this. I'm thinking of trying a lens cleaner cd, but concerned that it might actually get stuck.

Thanks for any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are they burnt cds? if they are try an actual cd...My old cd player (in another car) would show the same thing and just spit cds out on certain ones i burnt... the reader was to slow to read the speed i burnt it at or something stupid like that...

real cd's, doesn't matter which ones, or if I have just 1 or all 6 in. It cycles through the ones in the cassette then spits them out and says "no cd".

:( can't help ya out then sorry

thats unfixable... your better off upgrading your stereo.... thats what i did (i had the same problem), plus an upgrade is cheaper than replacing it... or its about the same...

Thanks Saleen, but there has to be a reason its happening that explains why its not fixable or a way to fix it. anyone else have any ideas?

i know that people have tried swaping out the changer and had no luck, as for swapiing out the HU i dont remember if anyones done it...

hey im having the same exact problem as u are did u ever find out whut was wrong or did u just say screw it and get a new cd player ? or a new 6 disc changer? please fill me in i need HELP

I pulled the CD changer and then watched it try to run without the cover on. In mine, it would load a disc fine, but the motor wouldn't spin the cd properly - sometimes not at all, sometimes as just a really really slow speed. I didn't see an easy way disassemble the motor or replace it, so I ended up getting a new in-dash cd reciever with Sirius radio. I still have the old changer and might try to get it working sometime, but didn't seem like an easy task at the time.

Good luck.

Back