Stock 93 4.0 ~ Head Gasket Replacement and Related Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stock 93 4.0 ~ Head Gasket Replacement and Related Questions

ItExplod'd

Reaction score
City, State
Pacific Northwest, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Ford Explorer Ltd.
Hi all,

New to the forum, but I've been a reader for several years. I bought my green limited with 84k original miles about five years ago, and my mom has a 94 xlt she bought new and it now has over 400k on it with many rebuilds/replacements. We've appreciated all the great help and fixed quite a few things on our cars. Thanks in part to all of you.

Most of the information I can find related to my questions are about 10 years old, and things change. Anyway, I need to replace my 93's head gaskets due to a leak, as well as rockers/rods due to wear (wow, was I surprised). Totally stock, now with 130,000 miles, tore it down, really clean inside. I will be having the cast iron 93TM heads checked and milled due to warp: Question 1, should I go the extra and have the heads rebuilt? I'm going with Tom Morana non-TTY head bolts, as ARP doesn't have a set: Question 2, has anyone gone with either Morana or ARP (non-TTY) and had good success. Question 3: Folks here seem to like Felpro gaskets, but which would be the best head gaskets for my job? They have two types that fit: MLS PermaTorque or SD (Severe duty). Question 4: Who has the best intake gasket? This was leaking too. I want the best as I do not want to repeat the job. I tend to shy away from engine kits because I want quality over quantity. Question 5: Rods and rockers . . . the old threads suggest Delta Cams rebuilt kits. Is there something better on the new market? I do not plan on selling it any time soon . . . I love the vehicle!

Thanks all!
-Katie

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just replaced my head gaskets, used the Fel pro SD and they installed easily and seem to be doing fine so far. I used the Fel pro 1piece lower intake gasket and that seems fine so far as well. Some like the 2piece lower intake gasket better. I also replaced the cam synchro just because it’s so easy to get to with the heads off.
I went with new heads from King they are really nice pieces, but I pretty much knew the heads were cracked and not salvageable. The king heads are improved castings and you can tell if you put the heads side by side.

Was a challenge to torque the heads and lower intake together in 15min but got it done.
Hardest part for me was the exhaust as I live in MA where the snow and salt kills exhaust parts.

I don't have the funds to do new heads. I suffer from poor student syndrome, the car managed to hang in there until the last couple weeks before I graduated. I'm forced to resurface and/or rebuild at this time. I've read where some say don't rebuild?? I really need them to last as long as possible.

Well my heads were cracked so that was not an option for me.
I think I read that the oem castings are not great to begin with but maybe if a machine shop checks them over and they pass you might be fine.

I have them at the machine shop, magna flux and vacuum check out so I am having them gone through. They said they are a bit warped but in good shape (good news for me). I understand it that the exhaust valves and seats go away on these and sink into the head, so I can look forward to that being done at the least.

I was looking at the Ford OEM intake gasket because they have a rubber seal around all ports including the problem front and rear water ports as well as the valley that crosses the block. Seems like a good design to me. The gasket itself is metal though? It was recommended not to be shy with the Permatex in these areas, however I've not used sealants with rubber before (any thoughts?). I was also told that because the intake bolts directly into the block and not the heads, it doesn't make a ton of sense to torque the three together, but I know the Ford manual says it should be?

On the heads, can I ask what you torqued the bolts to? And I guess on the gaskets, I through the blue PT were MLS, but I was told that no gasket manufacture builds an MLS for these motors, they are all composite . . . do you know?

Still not sure which way I'll go with the rod/rocker replacements (new vs. rebuilt). Wish I had some more insight as to which is better. Although some look like they aren't worn too bad, I intend on replacing them all, as I don't plan on breaking this down again if possible.

Thanks for all the good info.

I used the 1 piece lower intake manifolld gasket from fel pro. There was a 1 piece gasket on it so that’s what i replaced it with.
I did torque the heads and intake together.
Don’t recall the torque offhand but i remember torquing to a value and then turning 85 defrees
When i get home i can post the exact torque spec and sequence i followed

I just found a sheet with specs that jdjd42 posted on another thread, that shows torque sequence and specs (Federal Mogul 2005) . . . heads through sequence up to 59 lbs + 85 degrees and intake up to 18 lbs. If this saves you the trouble? Does that sound close?

Found out head bolts are going to get $25 tacked on for shipping ~ but I know, nothing is free (what, no US/Canadian exchange rate?).

Did you change out your rocker arms and push rods? If so, any good source that you know of?

Decisions, decisions.

Thanks!

I just found a sheet with specs that jdjd42 posted on another thread, that shows torque sequence and specs (Federal Mogul 2005) . . . heads through sequence up to 59 lbs + 85 degrees and intake up to 18 lbs. If this saves you the trouble? Does that sound close?

Found out head bolts are going to get $25 tacked on for shipping ~ but I know, nothing is free (what, no US/Canadian exchange rate?).

Did you change out your rocker arms and push rods? If so, any good source that you know of?

Decisions, decisions.

Thanks!

Luckily my rockers and pushrods were in good shape, I was shocked to be honest. I swapped them over to the new heads and so far so good.
Once I locate the paper with the specs I will post it

Is your build just stock like mine? Did you use the Morana head bolts with no problem? I keep getting contradicting opinions between these and TTY's.

Is your build just stock like mine? Did you use the Morana head bolts with no problem? I keep getting contradicting opinions between these and TTY's.

Build is stock
I used Fel pro bolts I think, they were TTY.
I contacted Morana but he never got back to me

Does anyone know what the head bolt specs are, including thread and pitch, so I can chase the threads as well as hunt down standard reusable head bolts?

FWhWN9.jpg

I know it’s 1.75 pitch I just went and checked my old bolts

Back