• Register Today It's free!

Stock Anti Theft, Starting issues

77poncho

Reaction score
City, State
keansburg, nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 explorer
i want to start out saying awesome forum... i've found many answers to problems with my truck... how ever i cant seem to figure out how to fix my problem... so here goes...

i have a 1994 x... a few days ago i has the idler pulley go out... ok not too bad a job... during the process.. i pulled the alternator out so i would have more room... i did not disconnect the battery at this time.. i know the power wire had a boot on it and it and would not ground out... so i get the alternator out and im in the process of taking out the plate that the idler pulley mount to and all of a sudden the engine cranks.... only for about 1 sec... but enough to let me know about it.. so i disconnected the battery... looked where the power wire from alternator and it was no where near ground.. or the starter etc... the olnt thing i can think of is there is a wire arness near the alternator and it was when i was pulling it off the mount on the side of the alternator. anyway i put everything back.. new belt.. hook up battery.. and engine cranks but not fire... i have no spark, and no fuel pump.. the anti theft is blinking when i try to start it if the door is open.. remote is good to open and lock doors.. no help.. i also disconnected the front most wire harness from the factory anti theft. still no help... also after it was back together i was messing with the wire harness again up by the alternator and it did try to crank again all on it's own... any help would be great... thanks.. sorry for this being so long... oh yeah.. i checked fuses under hood and dash.. along with swapping around some relays......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dont want to be a pest but.. any ideas?? need it for work... thanks again....

oh yeah forgot to mention i check the inertia switch also which is located up under the passenger side foot area up against the firewall..

the exploder ( explorer ) or as i have been known to call the sploder... is making me nuts... just yesterday after walking away from it for a good week or so.. i got in it and it started up just fine.. i ran it for an hour or so.. it was like it never had any starting issues.. so i had been noticing recently that the volts seemed a bit low on the alternator for charging.. and i have huge amp in the truck for my stereo and i said truck is running let me replace the aklternator.. i got a used one put it in.. fired it right up.. ran for 5 minutes.. drove about 1 block and it died again.. same symptoms as before.. so now i dont think its related to the anti theft because it did start up and drive .. need some ideas ???? anyone have any??????

I think I would take the anti-theft out of the picture. The only way I would know to do that would be to get the factory electrical/vacuum book (ebay has plenty) and basically wire around the anti-theft.

Then, it's time to deal with power supply, battery, etc... make sure the thing can make more power than it is using.

ok i think it's fixed.. we'll see... here is what i think hapened... when i swapped relays around i most likly swapped the relay from the ecc to the fuel pump.. originally no fuel and no spark.. well by swapping those 2 relays i know the fuel didnt the fuel pump didnt turn on either time.. and i did not check for spark after the initial fail.. had i done that i would have know now just a fuel problem.. so all this so far has turned out to be a lousy relay... anyway..thx for the replys.. and i will reply in a few days and let yo know it'sstill working... i'll be glad to put this to bed.... if it fails again im going to put an external relay... that way isolate it from being the actual socket the replay plugs into....

had to be the relay... it's been just fine now....

Back