• Register Today It's free!

Stock roof rack/rail

Christifor

Reaction score
City, State
Pac NW
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Ford Explorer 4.0 XLT
So I am looking to get some sort of new roof rack or cross bars for my 96 XLT. With the current roof rails, I am having trouble finding the right set up. I know I need a certain type due to the kind of rail...but what is it? I'm a huge Ebay shopper. I couldn't find anything specific for the 2nd gen.

Any help or links would be great!
I just need to be pointed in the right direction. Also not trying to spend an arm & a leg.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It may be cheapest to find these at a local junkyard, and then you can check the condition before taking them... since they sit on top baking in the sun for years.

I mean shipping them could nearly double the price. To clarify, you have the stock rails and just need new compatible cross-members for it?

It may be cheapest to find these at a local junkyard, and then you can check the condition before taking them... since they sit on top baking in the sun for years.

I mean shipping them could nearly double the price. To clarify, you have the stock rails and just need new compatible cross-members for it?

Yes. Have the stock rails with the twist lock cross bars. One doesn't like to tighten completely.
I am more so looking for aftermarket bars so I can throw on a basket or so if I'd like. Just don't know what kind of adapters to go in the stock rails I guess? Kind of lost here!

If you don't want stock bars then I'm more lost than you are, you'll have to guess whether what you can find cheap will work, identify them and look up compatibility on the manufacturer's website.

If you no longer need them adjustable then you could drill the stock bars and bolt on anything you like, like tubular (round, square or rectangular) steel or aluminum and keep building it like an erector set... if not welded.

If you don't want stock bars then I'm more lost than you are, you'll have to guess whether what you can find cheap will work.

If you no longer need them adjustable then you could drill the stock bars and bolt on anything you like, like tubular (round, square or rectangular) steel or aluminum and keep building it like an erector set... if not welded.
That's actually a good idea! Drill them that is, & then go from there.

I just figured maybe they made some aftermarkets for them back in the day. Or maybe something new would work. Doesn't seem like anyone uses the type that fit in these kind of rails these days.

Well aftermarket was typically when you buy the whole thing not just the middle sliders so they worked with the main rails sold with them, and there wouldn't be much of a market to make the middle slider rails since they came with them... well I don't know about the newer base model explorers, they did have the main rails without the middle sliders, but if their main rails weren't compatible then I'd just take the entire assembly off a higher model explorer at a junk yard.

However for a basket, I would make it custom so it's easy for you to attach it rather than devising how to strap it down every time you use it, or add an entire separate roof cargo basket style rack like one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/roof-top-cargo-carrier

Well aftermarket was typically when you buy the whole thing not just the middle sliders so they worked with the main rails sold with them, and there wouldn't be much of a market to make the middle slider rails since they came with them... well I don't know about the newer base model explorers, they did have the main rails without the middle sliders, but if their main rails weren't compatible then I'd just take the entire assembly off a higher model explorer at a junk yard.

However for a basket, I would make it custom so it's easy for you to attach it rather than devising how to strap it down every time you use it, or add an entire separate roof cargo basket style rack like one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/roof-top-cargo-carrier
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I think I'll look into baskets & just drill the stock rails into place to make sure they never move. I need to poke around a junkyard now that it's getting nice out anyways. Never hurts to look. Thanks for the insight!!

Yes. Have the stock rails with the twist lock cross bars. One doesn't like to tighten completely.

So, you need a replacement piece that the OEM crossbar screws into, that slides within the OEM tracks? If that makes sense...

I have some in my hoarding collection, if I can find them... big if...

I have some in my hoarding collection, if I can find them... big if...
Oh cool! Let me know when you have a chance & we will figure everything out. I'd appreciate it!

Back