• Register Today It's free!

Stock rotors out of round

AceGunner

Reaction score
City, State
PHX, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 4.0L 4DR Sport
First let me say I am new to the forum, so I apologize if this ? has been asked and answered before. Anyway, here it is...

I have a bone stock 2005 4.0L 4DR Sport Explorer and i get a lot of vibration in the brake pedal under mild and heavy braking, getting worst the heavier the stopping. I had this problem once before and took it to the dealer...they said the rotors were out of round, and machined them...problem solved. I had the brakes done about 4-6 mo past,and now the problem has returned. The rotors were machined and not replaced. BTW, I dont' drive crazy and slam on the brakes just to answer that question.

I'm sure I'll need to replace the rotors this time, but I don't want to go through this prob again, so here's my question:

What aftermarket rotors and pads would anyone recommend to replace the stock ones with that are heavy duty and/or better quality and will resist warping? BTW, I'm going to do it myself, the truck's out of warranty now.

Thanks for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just installed this weekend EBC6000 (green) and Raybestos rotor called "Advanced Technology" supposedly there is better metal to prevent warping.. So far much better stopping but i'm still breaking them in. The factories will always warp at least mine did.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll look into those.

The explorer brakes are very easy to do if you use all new parts (rotors, pads, and BRAKE KIT). I got mine at Autozone for about $8. The brake kit is the key because it includes new slippers so your pads slide back and forth real nice. Keep your hands clean so you don't get dirt/grease on the rotors or pads.

Good luck!

Our factory rotors lasted 40K miles before they warped pretty bad. They were barely within machinable tolerance in the first place. The metal must be soft as the pads ate quite a bit of the rotor away. So I bought aftermarket rotors then. They lasted 60K miles before they began to show a very slight warpage during stops, but they didn't get eaten away by the pads, so very machinable. However I didn't want to mess with it so yesterday I just put on some cross drilled powerstop rotors and their ceramic pads. I scored them on Ebay for 115 bucks shipped! Boy does it stop good now. Brakes are very easy on this thing.

The newer factory brake rotors are made thinner than they used to be in the past (weight and $$ savings), so they will warp faster, and will have a much shorter life when turned. You'll be lucky to get one machining out of the rotors, and usually the lifespan of the rotor after machining is fairly short because they warp much faster due to the thinner metal.

I've gotten to the point with my vehicles that I just replace the rotors when they warp. It just hasn't paid me to to get them turned.

i have 90xxx miles on my mountaineer and i replaced my original rotors from when i bought it at 86xxx miles. i guess i got lucky mine lasted that long with no warping. i actually kept the old ones for a just in case situation.

The newer factory brake rotors are made thinner than they used to be in the past (weight and $$ savings), so they will warp faster, and will have a much shorter life when turned. You'll be lucky to get one machining out of the rotors, and usually the lifespan of the rotor after machining is fairly short because they warp much faster due to the thinner metal.

I've gotten to the point with my vehicles that I just replace the rotors when they warp. It just hasn't paid me to to get them turned.

Exactly! My wife has an Escape, too. When we did the brakes on hers the first time, we were told they were too thin to be turned, and this was at the dealer, too. Not even one turn, Thanks Ford!

I'm coming right up on 100,000 miles on my original rotors. I got the truck at 72000 and as far as I know they were the originals. I'm probably going to have to do them this summer though, as the braking is getting weaker and weaker. A soft foot on the pedal really helps extend the life!

Back