straight or glasspaks? whats yall opinion? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

straight or glasspaks? whats yall opinion?

v897xlt

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT AWD v8 5.o
i need to run a new pipe to pass inspection. so i was going to have a shop run new pipe for 75 bucks for a straight pipe out the stock side. so just like the stock, but without muffler and resonator, and i would cut take the rear cats off b4 i go there... or do yall think i should do that, and have them put a glass pack on there? i want it to be loud.... they would obviously run a y pipe into a single to go out the back.... any experience, and yes i kno about the 5.0 thread but i dont recall anyone doing a staight pipe...i honestly dont have much money... so i dont want to spend a arm and a leg on mufflers, but i would like a nice rich aggrieve sound like, a glass pack...but what about a straight pipe?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im pretty sure if you need it to pass an inspection no matter what state you live in (but correct me if Im wrong) you need to have a muffler. Even a glasspack wont allow you to pass inspection.

But if you want something loud then just straight pipe it. I did that on my 2.0 jetta and it sounded like a VR6. But after driving around for about a week it gets to be to loud and annoying.

Just save $50 a pay check and get a true exhuast. Cause the 5.0 sound mean with a nice setup.

I agree with sploder that I believe unless you get a shop that doesn't follow the law that you must have a muffler and so therefore glass pack would be your cheapest option.

my 93 passed ca smog last time with a glasspack. So did my wifes supra.

I would honestly say no to the glass pack, all the ones Ive seen sound ricy... which is extra gay when its a SUV.

i can only hear the glasspack at higher rpms. no ricey sound or i would have pulled it right off.

ya out here in Virginia, all i have to have is one cat per pipe, and well my car has 4 cats, im cutting the last two off then a straight pipe.... we jus did my friends suberue and it passed inspection.... but ford put to many bend in the pipe i dont want to mess with it.... but my shop teacher said he wuld give me his old glass packs off his old truck... so i think i might see if his will fit, depending on pipe size in everything.... what the stock size pipe? i haven't been able to get a good measure on it , is it 2.50?

I had a glass pack on a 4.0 explorer before and sounded decent, it definitely won't sound ricey with the 5.0

ya out here in Virginia, all i have to have is one cat per pipe, and well my car has 4 cats, im cutting the last two off then a straight pipe.... we jus did my friends suberue and it passed inspection.... but ford put to many bend in the pipe i dont want to mess with it.... but my shop teacher said he wuld give me his old glass packs off his old truck... so i think i might see if his will fit, depending on pipe size in everything.... what the stock size pipe? i haven't been able to get a good measure on it , is it 2.50?

Stock pipe size on both the 5.0 and 4.0 is 2.25"

Stock pipe size on both the 5.0 and 4.0 is 2.25"

really? wow cuse i did a quick mod awhile ago and used a 2.50 size pipe to run the pipe out the side right where the pipe turns out the back....i just had it go out the side right there....my shop teacher has 2 glass packs , if they fit, how should i use them? should i have them run a Y pipe then glass pack? or glass pack on each pipe then Y pipe? and still keep the single out the side?thanks for opinions!!

One mans opinion, but glasspacks sound like death. It would be better with your 5.0, but get a legit muffler.

problem is , i dont have 75 bucks just for a friggin muffler...and the glass packs im gettin of my shop teacher... so yeah...im piss poor....im only 17 in i ave to pay all expenses , n i dont have a job right now... except for landscaping, but now its starting to slow down, and this summer it was so dry...thanks any more opinions or ideas? with what i said in my last post?

I say do it. I Had several 5.0s with glass packs and stock cats sounded wonderful. People loved 'em

thanks, do yall think i should use both those glasspacks? like have the shop put one on each pipe, then put it into a Y? then run it out the back? or just have them run the Y, into one of the glass packs, then run the pipe out the back?

bump?

I ran one where the muffler was and it sounds good. Any more and it might drone going down the freeway.

thanks, do yall think i should use both those glasspacks? like have the shop put one on each pipe, then put it into a Y? then run it out the back? or just have them run the Y, into one of the glass packs, then run the pipe out the back?

This is exactly what I have on my 5.0. It's really not that loud but, you can hear sommings there. I have to magnaflow glass packs that y and a 3" mandrel pipe out the back. Dosn't drone on the highway but if I rev it you'll hear it a bit.

This is exactly what I have on my 5.0. It's really not that loud but, you can hear sommings there. I have to magnaflow glass packs that y and a 3" mandrel pipe out the back. Dosn't drone on the highway but if I rev it you'll hear it a bit.

cool, does it have alot of sound at idle? cuse this is where im stuck at, one or both? i want there to be sound so ppl can hear, but not super loud, sound clip?:p:

looks like im going todo the y then then glass pack, only one of the glass packs are good.... and the shop said i couldnt cut the rear cats.... which is frustrating, cuse i called them a month ago and they said its fine for me to cut them then go into there shop and they weld knew pipe....and we cut one two cats off from my friends car???? and it passed inspection?????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so took car to shop and had them run a y pipe then glass pack, it sounds really good at low revs/ idle, but has lil sound at high revs:/ idk, i want it a lil louder....has a B.A. sound to it just want it louder...

Back