• Register Today It's free!

Strange A/C problem

HedgeHog2008

Reaction score
City, State
Newnan, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac
I have a 2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac. The problem I'm having has been "looked at" by the dealer. When I accelerate (not a jack-rabbit start) the temperature of the air coming out of the vents drops 10-15 degrees. Even on MAX. It is very noticeable. Usually 1 - 2 miles before it starts cooling back down. The dealer looked at it for a whole day (probably 15 minutes) and said they drained the system and reprogrammed the PCM and TCM. However, there is no difference. They said there is nothing more they can do. I was a mechanic many years ago - before all the new electronics. I seem to remember that on the older A/C systems when you were accelerating and the vacuum dropped down, the A/C would freewheel in order to give more power to the engine for acceleration. Anything like that in a 2007. The belt is tight and I hear no slippage. Any suggestions?:(
I have a 2005 Mercury Montego and have never seen this happen to it. I have also searched this website and many others to no avail.
Like this site because it narrows the field I'm interested in.
Thanks All

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can say that my 08 and the4 03 SCrew I had does/did the same thing when accelerating. It wasn't real noticable after te truck is cool.

Trying to get Ford to respond

I wrote Ford an email. Service Tech said I should take mine back to the dealer again for a "rediagnosis". I took the 2007 Sport Trac back to the dealer this morning. Same diagnosis. However, the Service Writer did tell me this is standard operation for the Sport Trac. I asked her "Why would I spend $30,000 for a A/C unit that works part of the time?" No response as I expected. She just works there, no fault of hers.
:confused:
I have now asked for an Area Service Supervisor, we'll see how far I get with that.

Will keep the site posted if I get some kind of resolution.
Thanks for the response.

Same problem for me

I have the same issue with my 07 V8 4x4. It's been to the dealer 3 times now and they tell me it's normal operation. I live in North Texas and during the warmer months I noticed that the cold air from the A/C became noticeably warmer after I pulled away. The dealer tells me that it's by design in that the A/C compressor is switched off during take off to conserve power and this is what causes the air to warm up. I could live with the warm air for a minute or so but what drives me mad is that during the period when the air warms up, the humidity in the air also increases, even if I have the system set to re-circ. I can't understand how humid air gets into the system when the cabin air has dried out. It's driving me nuts, a 292 HP engine and it can't pull the truck off the line AND cool the air

Situation all "Normal"

I see I'm not alone.

Took the Sport Trac back to the dealer. The service manager finally agreed with me that there "is" a problem. He said he brought in the Area Rep and could not come up with what is wrong.

As I told him before, the A/C shuts off for about 60 or more seconds. During this time the coil starts warming up, evaporating the condensation on the coil, then the air blowing out is both warmer and wetter. When we went for a test ride, he even commented "Now I see what you mean, I can feel the moisture coming out of the vents."

He called me three days later and said they could not find anything. Everything is within normal specs. He has no cure. Told me I could bring it back again and they would see if they could figure it out. I thought, why not find out what's wrong NOW.

So I'm right back where I started. I have a Sport Trac with less than 11,000 miles and it does not work right. I haven't given up. But I need to figure out what track to take now.

Perhaps this is why Ford is having such a bad year. If you can't satisfy a current customer, how can you expect future business from unsatisfied customers.

Still working.:confused:

ps---The loaner vehicle was a 2007 Tundra - A/C worked great, even though the Toyota ride was horrible.

I wonder if this was a factory design to squeeze out the best possible mileage rating, and the service people don't know about it. If so they need to get a fix from the factory rather than trying to get the local service people to figure it out.

I too just noticed this today with my 08 STA. I made a rather spirited start through 1st and 2nd gear, and noticed the a/c doing the things you described. It took about 1/2 mile to resume. Has to be a engineering design function which may not be able to be oversome or dianosed as a fault. Guess I (we) will have to live with this.

Not necessarily

I have not given up.

I didn't spend $30,000 on a vehicle just "to live with it".

Email from Ford

I received this at 4:30pm from Ford - Priceless - want to buy a repair manual? :eek:

In an effort to assist you with this matter, we have contacted Gene Evans Team Ford. According to their assessment your vehicle is operating within Ford specifications. Your dealership has: factory trained technicians, comprehensive service information and specialized equipment to resolve your concerns. We concur with the dealerships assessment. If you require further explanation or the conditions change, please contact the Service Manager. Ford and Lincoln-Mercury Dealership are in the best position to discuss and review your request.

To locate a Ford or Lincoln-Mercury dealership, please visit:
www.genuineservice.com

If you wish to purchase a shop manual, please visit:
www.motorcraft.com

or contact Helm:
Online:
www.Helminc.com

Phone:
1-800-782-4356

Mail:
Helm Inc.
P.O. Box 07130
Detroit, MI 48247

Currently, there are various special incentives and offers available on Ford Motor Company products. I encourage you to visit us at www.fordvehicles.com. Simply, choose the vehicle you may be interested in, enter your zip code, and all current offers will be displayed to you.

How strange! My A/C takes a few ticks to start up, but then it kicks butt!!! I havent notice it dropping off at any point. Here in central California we have had a hot summer in the 100 to 105's and my ride has been very cool. This is a new issue for me, I have had alot of tranny problems but now at 41K every thing is running great:thumbsup: I really love my ST. The 4.6L really is a fine engine and is running great. Changed to Mobile One after warrenty expired, and it seems to be running alot quieter and better MPG's. Average 21.7 to work on cruise control. :cool:

New Vehicle Warranty

You have me curious. You said you changed to Mobile One after your warranty expired.
My warranty is 5 years/ 60,000 miles - no deductible, full roadside assistance. I have a letter from Ford in Feb 2007 that extended my warranty for this period. I forget exactly why they did this but seems it was some legal thing - Lawsuit? Or maybe competition from GM and Dodge was hurting sales.
Anyway your dealer can tell you.:)
HOWEVER, having this extended warranty has not helped me with the A/C problem. But should help you with your transmission problems if they continue.
If you need a copy of the letter, let me know.

I heard something about that extended warranty but did not get a letter from Ford. My dealer says that it's only for the drivetrain. I would like to see that letter!

5 year Warranty

Well your Ford Dealer is about as worthless as mine. It is a FULL Bumper-to-Bumper warranty for 5 years.
Now to show my ignorance: How do I get a copy of this notice to you? I have it in a pdf and a tif but I see no way to attach in this software.

I've read the FAQs and it says you can post attachments by using the [Manage Attachments] button at the bottom of the post composition page. Still looking

HedgeHog2008, sent you my E-mail. As an Elite Explorer, I think I can post this letter. If I can I will. I know AndyInFlorida and others would like to see it.:D
Thanks SC

HedgeHog2008, I can not get your letter from Ford to attach. I will keep trying. It does say that the powertrain is extended to 5/50,000. So does that mean only that is extended and not bumper to bumper? I hope someone really knows whats going on. I have 43k on my ST and have not had any more issues. It would be really nice to know if I am still under full warranty till 50k:rolleyes:

I have an 08 and my warranty from Ford is 3yrs 36K bumper to Bumper and 5 Yrs 50K on the drive train, that is with no letters nothing just the standard warranty on this vehicle from what I understand.

Warranty Extention

FordxMan,

It does say that the Powertrain Warranty is extended. When I bought the 2007 it was 3/36. Then this letter extended the Powertrain, roadside assistance to 5 years / 60,000 miles.

I consider the powertrain bumper-to-bumper because that's the only thing important to me. Everything else is nickle/dime.

However, I do understand that my problem with A/C is not covered after the 3/36 warranty. But it does cover the engine and trasmission to 5/60 - that's where the big bucks come into play.

Thanks for your time and effort to get this attachment posted. Maybe you'll get it figured out eventually.

HedgeHog

I have an 08 and my warranty from Ford is 3yrs 36K bumper to Bumper and 5 Yrs 50K on the drive train, that is with no letters nothing just the standard warranty on this vehicle from what I understand.
Ouch
My wife haggled with the salesman and got us a free 7 year/100K

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hedgehog,

if you have a scanner or have ford do it. capture the A/C PID while your are driving to see if the compressor is turning off on light accel. it should turn off momentarily on WOT.

do you still hear the blower motor??

you can check for ground at the PCM Pin#14 Wh/Bn wire during light accel (when your A/C is cutting out) if you have ground and no A/C check at the A/C compressor relay for ground at pin #2 same color wire. if you don't have ground then the PCM is cutting it off for some reason.

Back