Strange Coolant Leak on 96 Explorerks, I have a 1996 Ford Explorer 4. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Strange Coolant Leak on 96 Explorerks, I have a 1996 Ford Explorer 4.

AA7KN

Reaction score
City, State
Livingston, Texas ( home)
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer 4.0
Callsign
AA7KN
Hi Folks, I have a 1996 Ford Explorer all stock, with a 4.0L V6. I noticed coolant ( Green ) dripping of the rear of the engine where it meets the tranny. I can't seem to find the leak, it looks like it is on the rear of the motor on the passenger side, it has a small trail of Green water running down the back of the motor onto the tranny where it pools up in the cracks and humps and bumps on the tranny then drips off the bottom near the Tranny drain plug. I know it is coming from the motor because it Green coolant. where on the back of the engine could this be leaking ? head gasket ? Freeze Plug somewhere ? is this a common thing on the 2nd Gen Explorers ? I read about a Intake manifold gasket leaking , but Fluid ? never heard of that before. can someone please advise me what to do to locate this leak ? Thank you in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the upper radiator hose was poorly clamped to the thermostat outlet at the front of the OHV, coolant can spill out on top of the passenger side of the lower intake manifold which then slopes back to the rear of the engine and spills out on the passenger side of the transmission.

So check to see if the passenger top of the LIM has any traces of coolant. Hopefully that is it and an easy fix.

Otherwise, could be the lower intake manifold gasket. There are two coolant crossover ports at the back of the OHV (on either side of the camshaft sync sensor) that can leak to the outside. Check there (maybe just with your hand and a towel) if you can't find anything on top of the LIM. Here's a pic of the ports with the LIM off.

40193623281_184578f478_b.jpg

Thanks Bill for the reply. I'll check that. I did install a new thermostat a few months ago. I am not sure if I have a OHV or not, how do I know ? but, even if I do not, I suppose it could still be the same ??? does the Non-OHV engine have that water jacket in the intake manifold ? thanks

If you have a 1996 V6 then you have the OHV. The SOHC didn't join the party until 1997.

If you installed a thermostat recently, I would check all the fittings and hoses that go from there up and over the alternator toward the radiator to make sure they aren't leaking on top of the engine. Maybe something got bumped or cracked.

Thanks Bill for the reply. I'll check that. I did install a new thermostat a few months ago. I am not sure if I have a OHV or not, how do I know ? but, even if I do not, I suppose it could still be the same ??? does the Non-OHV engine have that water jacket in the intake manifold ? thanks
Thanks Bill for the info. I will for sure check all that. I do not want it to be an intake gasket. It looks like alot of work to change. Thanks.

IT WAS THE LOWER INTAKE GASKET, BUT IT WAS SUCH A SLOW SMALL LEAK, I USED STEEL SEAL IN MY RADIATOR, IT STOPPED THE LEAK AND WHEN IT WAS FIXED, I DRAINED THE WATER, AND ADDED 50/50. STILL NO LEAKING...SO FAR SO GOOD

Back