Strange issue, shifting/ engine control module | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

someitalian30

Reaction score
City, State
Drifton/ Freeland, Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Eddie Bauer 5.0
:exp:
I have no idea to begin, very familiar with V6 and 4cyl Fords but my 5.0 Explorer acts like a red headed step child at times! If i drive it like im in the nascar races it shifts smooth and nice...drive normal and try saving gas? it holds onto 2nd gear and hits higher RPMs before shifting into 3rd, and i have to let my foot off the gas and it goes n shifts, same with overdrive...
BUT, i discovered disconnecting my battery neg cable for 15-20 minutes then i get in and it drives amazingly nice and smooth...i turn off the key and restart? back to driving like crap holding onto 1st gear too long then holding second.. any advise?????

I am almost ready to throw in the rag and sell it, but i love my truck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may want to do a total fluid change on the transmission, and also put a new transmission filter in. If there's debris floating around in the fluid or if the transmission filter is clogged it can hang up the valve body or a governor in the transmission.

Hope this helps you out.

Tony
1aauto.com

The fluid/ filter was changed a year before i got the truck from its orig. owner...
and was driven less than 6 months after.. The thing is, everytime i disconnect the battery when i come home, then reconnect it before going somewhere, it shifts and drives beautiful and smooth..better than most new cars, but if i have to shut it off and restart, its back to driving (shifting) rough, unless i disconnect the battery terminal and wait 10-20 minutes. fluid looks to be alittle used but not like super dirty..

Update -
I removed the horn/ pcm memory (20amp fuse) in the under-hood fuse panel and now have seamless pristine shifting as well as nearly doubled fuel mileage! I used to get 9-10/11 ish in city driving and about 12-14 highway now getting 19-22 highway at 65mph+ driving....now can also shut off and restart without the need to disconnect my battery for smooth shifting, odd? yes...but the 'keep alive memory' of the pcm seems to be the culprit, i have had NO check engine lights on, smoother running and oddly enough perfect flawless shifts right on target. The horn issue i plan to resolve or maybe remove the 'pcm memory aka keep alive memory' wire from that fuse, The ford dealership is NOT ripping me off for a reprogramming job on my explorer! My only hope is this word gets out and helps others, because Ford has a design flaw with its software and will never own up to it, if anyone has any questions please feel free to send me a pm on here you likely DO NOT need a transmission or rebuild or even a pcm flash job.

Does anyone know what color wire goes in the bottom of the under hood fuse box that controls the horn and pcm memory?? I want to remove the pcm memory wire and keep the horn since that is one thing i really need, putting in the fuse results in hard and rough shifts...without it, flawless...need my horn back

Back