1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Strange noise from front wheel

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by gc67, June 18, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. gc67

gc67 New Member

City, State:
    AZ
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    99 XLT
    1999 Explorer XLT AWD v8 5.0

I am thinking this is probably the wheel bearing but am not 100% as it does not sound like when I have had one go out on another vehicle. At slow speeds there is a whining/grinding type of noise coming from the driver's side front wheel. I happens when moving regardless of whether in drive or not. The best way to describe the sound is like one of those flashlights that you wind up. After you get up to about 15mph you cannot hear the noise. I don't know if it stops or is just drowned out. Does that sound like it is a wheel bearing going out and any guess on how long it could be driven? Would like to order the part online and put it on next weekend. Thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. gc67

gc67 New Member

City, State:
    AZ
    99 XLT
    Any ideas? I noticed the noise is not there in reverse. I just want to make sure it is a bearing before I spend the money on a new hub and take the time to put it in.

~Thanks

4. gc67

gc67 New Member

City, State:
    AZ
    99 XLT
  5. 01sporty

01sporty Member

City, State:
    new salisbury indiana
    2001 sport 2wd
    jack it up and grab the wheel and shake or pull and see if there is any play in the bearing if so it probably the bearing.