Strange Steering Issue in 2014 Ford Explorer Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Strange Steering Issue in 2014 Ford Explorer Sport

Jeff Kessler

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
I purchased a Ford Explorer Sport in June 2014. The car is a load of fun and has great "pick up."

I am totally happy with the truck, except for a strange steering issue. When I accelerate hard (for instance merging onto the highway) the steering tends to drift all over the place. This drift only seems to happen under hard acceleration. The drift is more of a feeling and I tend to over compensate when it happens which is actually scarier than the steering drift itself.

1) Has anyone else experienced this issue?
2) Is there a fix?

Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is called " torque steer". Completely normal for the power the Sport has. My wife has a 14 Sport and asked the same question.

Honestly, we have gotten use to it. It is inherent to having so much torque driving through a front wheel drive biased system. Even though the sport is AWD, power transfer still goes through the front wheels. The sport has the same ecoboost as in the F150 but with less torque. I presume they dialed it back from the truck rating for this reason.

Sounds like you're enjoying the great pick up a little too much…LOL!!

Ya, I agree that you'll just get used to it. FYI…It'll likely get worse if you have your back end loaded or towing.

I had torque steer like that in a Nissan Maxima I had. I just got used to it during hard acceleration. My Nissan Murano, and my Ex XLT don't have enough power to have the torque steer issue.

Thanks for all the responses. A small price to pay for the "fun" I guess.

Just curious, would some of the other driving modes available on the sport compensate for the "torque steer?" (e.g. sand, snow, etc)

I noticed that right away. I was telling my dad (who owned several ford dealerships when I was a kid) that when the turbo kicks in i almost lose control. He started laughing really hard and told me that with the Lincoln version people did lose control so they ended up making e vehicle all wheel drive.

Back