City, State
mayretta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Eddie Bauer
additional TEST from message center

now in 2nd EDIT:
I found a little bit of info on how to repeat this TEST (in KOEO):
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1612845&postcount=2
This link is a TSB provided by a member who obviously has Ford 'in-house' connections, being a technician's diagnosis about how to fix a fuel gauge slow-to-no reading problem.

I have provided an excerpt of it here, below my original post as it relates to this message center 'condition', and how to step thru the message center TEST.

ORIGINAL POST:
I've been researching the heck out of this and can't find anything (I have now found a little info - see below the post). I recently bought my EB used. All has been well, but over several days, I started noticing 'little things' being different, intermittently, when I would start it up, several times over the course of the day...
1. The message center, which normally came up with the last setting, would come up displaying the 'odometer only' cyle.
2. The radio, which would normally come up wherever it was last (CD/track, radio/station) would not come on at all, and would not 'initialize' (I have to select the radio button FM/AM first which will turn on the radio, THEN select a CD to play).
3. The headlights, on auto setting, sometimes work and sometimes don't. They also sometimes burn in daylight and sometimes not. They will always work properly after I have turned them to normal ON position and back to AUTO ON.
4. Sometimes at startup, the guage needles will 'vibrate' for 5 seconds or so, then go to normal readings; sometimes they just go to normal readings without vibrating.
5. gas mileage is droppig from 16.4 to 14.9 (unrelated, I now think).

Surely, when the needles do the vibrating thing, I know that I will see the other issues described.

Again, these things are intermittent. sometimes happen, sometimes don't.

This all started couple of weeks ago, when out of the blue, when I cranked up (with all the intermittent symptoms above present for a week), the message center went into a completely different type of mode BY ITSELF (not the regular setup with oil life, etc) that started with the word "TEST". It sat there until I pressed reset, which caused the message center to take off into a proccess of sweeping all the guage dials, lighting up all the LEDs in the MC as a light test, then giving line by line info that I could step thru. I have since run a couple more tests on it since then, but from what I learned from the TSB, you can only run this test with the vehicle off (KOEO). Here's a list of all the parameters that appeared (again as the engine was RUNNING since this happened on its own):

(Below is how to run this test on the message center)
I am going to post the results and more info as soon as I learn to post a file on the site.

(guage sweep)
(LEDs test)
Part# 4L2T-10849-CF
Serial Number 0089643A
Key B
RomLevel 0501
checksum 0000
NVM01 0501
checksum 0000
Final Date 4E76
Module config 11 04 C1 F6 00
Diag Trouble code 9352
Diag Trouble code 9318
Diag Trouble code E013
Diag Trouble code A659
VSS 0.0 MPH, 0.0 KMH
Tach 630+- (was reading tach while running)
Fuel A/D 070 +- per 040 (was reading while running)
Fuel Init Status 05
Coolant Temp 92c (was reading while running)
Odo Input 165
Oil Press 000
Brake Fluid 0
Battery 14.0 (was reading while running)
PMW Inp 000 Out 118
Prndl 40
Prk Brake 0 (pressing p-brake displays "G")
FFlow 3??------ (didn't write it down while running; KOEO displays 0)
Seat Belt 0 (connecting belt displays "G")
PD 00002000 (value while running; display while KOEO 40002100)
PortA 60h
PortB c1h
PortE 0Ch
PortH 0oh
PortJ 0ch
PortK 8lh
PortL 38h
PortM 04h ('4' varies from 0-4)
PortP 1oh
PortS 07h
PortT 98h
PortU 00h
PortV 00h
PortW 00h
PortAD0 FFh
PortAD1 FFh
(note the following 3 digit values varied, typically the available range is 000-255)
(also note that with a little idle time/engine run time, the values marked * typically increased)
PortAD00 000-001
PortAD01 000-001*
PortAD02 000-001
PortAD03 000-003
PortAD04 219-224
PortAD05 000-001
PortAD06 125-128*
PortAD07 105-108*
PortAD08 000-001
PortAD09 000-001
PortAD10 000-003
PortAD11 000-005
PortAD12 251-255
PortAD13 126-128*
PortAD14 115-118*
PortAD15 254-255
(END OD TEST, CAN TURN KEY OFF)

After all this was displayed, it went back to its normal display mode. I dont know how it started, and I dont know how to make it happen again WHILE THE ENGINE IS RUNNING. I spoke with my mechanic and with the dealer service, and neither knew anything about this TEST. I took it to the dealer to find out what these atypical DTCs mean, and he did not know - had no info. They ran the normal scan that we all know, standard DTC's that start with P, U, B etc, and found no problems other than a little prob with the radio (so the radio problem I listed is unrelated). He says that the DTCs that show up in the message center must be "engineering" trouble codes, and that he can't get them (suggested that I call Ford Engineering to try and get them - I suggested HE do it, like they're gonna talk to me about it right?) He didn't know where to go from there. Also, he read a TSB to me about the gauge needles vibating, as being a normal condition.

I've tried searching these atypical diag codes, and can not find anything anywhere about them. Sorry to be so lengthy with this, but hopefully someone will:

a) know what this is about and why it happened on its own
b) how to make it go thru this again while engine is running
c) what the diag codes mean
d) what I should do from here.

Thanks in advance for any help guys.

-------------------------
Here's how to run the message center TEST:

(Techs are referred to the "Workshop Manual" for additional info and procedures for the various DTC codes.)

Engage the Instrument Cluster Self-Diagnostic Test Mode by pressing and holding the appropriate buttons for 4 seconds:

2002-2006 - Base Cluster - Trip Odo Reset button
2002-2005 - Message Center Cluster - SETUP and RESET Message Center buttons
2006 - Message Center Cluster - RESET (only) Message Center button

With the vehicle in park, turn the key to the run position key on/engine off (KOEO).

Release the button(s):

2002-2005 - Base Clusters will display "tESt"
2002-2005 - Message Center Clusters will display "TEST"
2006 - Clusters will indicate "ENGINEERING TEST MODE"
NOTE: IF "ENGINEERING TEST MODE" IS NOT DISPLAYED, DEPRESS THE ODO RESET OR MESSAGE CENTER RESET BUTTON 1 OR MORE TIMES UNTIL THIS MESSAGE IS DISPLAYED.

Press the RESET button once for each next step of the TEST.

First, the guages will sweep, next the LEDs will light up, next is the info posted above. Continue pressing RESET for each next step. (see above)
----------------------------------

Please, anyone who knows how to make this test happen while engine is running, I would love to know.

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just posted a new edited version of the problem (above) with additional info I have found on how to run the message center TEST mode (not the normal simple "setup" test).

It would be great if anyone else with an 02-06 model message center (cluster or base type) would try running the TEST to see what info you get. See toward the bottom of the freakin essay above of how to do the TEST.

Thanks.

I was sitting outside the Ob-Gyn's office yesterday waiting for my wife so I decided to give this a try.

It worked just like you said it would, got the sam thing except for no trouble codes. However, after it said "Trouble Code 0000" the next message said "Check Engine 2".

I decided to see if it would work with the engine running so I pressed the Setup and Reset than moved the key to On. The "Test" message came up and I started the engine without any problem. This time I got "Check Engine 1" and some of the data was live, think so since it was varying with the engine running.

I wish I knew what all the data meant.

Also, I noticed that it has a Coolant Temp output so I'm wondering if one of the messages is for the transmission temp. Since the manual says that you would get a message if the tranny overheats, I assume that means it has to have a temp sensor for the tranny, too, right? It would be great to be able to see the temp for the tranny under my usual driving conditions.

By the way, the link in 2002-2005 stock explorers to this thread does not work. I will add it.

Bump.

I've been having the EXACT problems mentioned in this post. My 2004 explorer EB V8 just went into test mode on its own today.

Did you ever find out the cause?

still no additional info on the TEST mode

I never did get any additional information than what I posted. Since I made the post many months back, I have learned that in extremely cold weather (specifically recently over the last month), it has been going back into this TEST mode on its own, which it has not done all summer and fall in the warmer weather. I can run the TEST with the engine on or off, as described in this post. Still though, I do not know what all the codes mean. You will get differing readings with the engine on, and with the engine off, as the engine on will give variable readings. It really can be a helpful test, IF we could find out what all the codes mean. I gave up trying to find them. Lemme know via this post if you can find them, or maybe know a tech that can help. As to WHY it goes into the TEST mode on its own is still a mystery. All I can figure as a simpleton non-mechanic is that with the cold, perhaps a connection somewhere down the line is contracting, closing a circuit, making the test mode run at startup... sounds silly maybe, but....

Best,
Edd

Just Happened to Me

just had a similar situation... I have had no problems with my explorer until now... my vehicle would not start last nigt and have been having some of the same things happening you listed above... then this morning I finally got it started but it is giving me the test mode with the errors... was anyone able to find out what the trouble codes 9352 or 9318 are??? or part 4L2T-10849-CF... also curious if you have been able to drive with no problems... wasn' sure if it was worth me putting in th shop or if this is just a wierd once in a while thing... thanks for any help...
Claudia

No New Info....

Hi Claude.

No, I never found any of the diag codes listed herein, nor has anyone posted them to my knowledge. Again, I feel pretty certain that cold weather has at least 'something' to do with mine dropping into TEST mode at will (which it still does during cold spells). You do not have to worry about driving - at least I haven't - and have had no problems. Again as I originally said, I brought mine in to the FORD shop about the TEST thing and the mechanic didn't know what to make of it, other than to tell me it is a manufacturer's kind of test or something. I'm just waiting for some sharp tech who knows about this and will kindly post info as to where to find these particular codes, or what they mean. I keep my settings here on the forum set to deliver me an email if someone responds, in hopes that someday soon my wish will come true with a response...

BTW, When it drops into TEST mode, you can end it quickly by just holding down the RESET button until it quits the test mode. All will be fine.

Best,

Same here. Test mode appears only in the extreme cold.

Still having the same problems with no drivability issues.

A couple of new symptoms have appeared for me. The air conditioner seems not to be blowing cold - might be unrelated.

Also, every now and then, I get an advtrac warning which stays on along with the ABS light and E-Brake indicator. All systems work as expected, though.

I'm sure when I bring the air conditioner in to fix, this will have to get fixed too and cost like $4000 or something obscene.

cold weather = AUTOMATIC TEST mode

The cold weather thing is interesting, and I'm glad to know (well, so to speak) that you are seeing the same cold weather issues with it going into TEST mode on its own. I bet your AC just needs a freon filling, which you can do on your own if you're so inclined, but shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred bucks for a proper charging at the dealer. There is a good post on this forum somewhere about how to do it properly. My AC does NOT get super-cold in really warm weather anyway, and the loudness of the air blowing is incredible - it just seems REALLY inefficient... I haven't seen any of the AB issues pop up on Sir Edward, so it may be that you actually have an issue there. Generally, any other 'normal' console/messaging issues I have (like low tire pressure, signal on too long beeps, unbuckled seatbelt, etc) do show up when they need attention, which are unrelated to, or unaffected by, the TEST thing, as best as I can tell. I think you, like me, suffer from "TEST MODE ANXIETY", where anything that happens now gets immediate suspicion directed toward the TEST mode thing... And until we know what the codes are and why, we'll continue to blame everything on the TEST... :confused:

I had been getting this problem more and more frequently, even in more moderate temperatures, including 80* days.

I also started feeling as though my battery was dying. Starts were getting harder, etc.

So, I replaced the battery with a 1000 CCA battery from Costco (Kirkland).

Low and behold, the problem has gone away! My air conditioner remembers the last setting, the info console remembers the setting, and the gauges don't flutter.

I'm guessing the instrument problems might be a lack of wattage coming through during startup or something. Anyway, I thought I would re-post as someone might also have this problem.

I'll consider the fluttering gauges advanced warning that I need a new battery in the future!

Yep you are right...

yes, I should have posted as well. I had the exact same situation as you, not thinking about the battery being low being that big of a deal. When I replaced it a couple months ago, every single issue stopped happening, including, as you say, the other things that are suppose to work did; like the AC momory etc. So, agreed, fluctuating needles etc are a good sign that the battery needs re-uping. Although, I do still have the same fault codes as I had before, so we still need to know what the codes are...

Battery might be the problem.

I was researching an issue with my climate control resetting in cold weather. (Turned off when I start the car). Same symptoms described as for the Message Center issues in this post. No driving problems, just the reset. I found a post were someone else with the same issue replaced his battery and magically the problem went away. I now have the Message Center "Test" mode on start up also. Mine has been tied to extreme cold weather and is sporadic. My '04 Explorer has the original battery. I have no problems starting or indication it needs replaced (other than this issue) but I think I will get a new battery. It has been more of an aggravation than anything.
By the way, exact same error codes with one more E013, 9352, A659, 9318 and D900

I know, it sounds completely illogical, but it was 100% the problem for me. The colder the temp, the weirder the behavior. Changed the battery to a Costco Kirkland and no problems since.

Same Situation

I have a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer, V8.
Same EXACT Test sequence appeared today.

I noticed that when I started my car, the engine had a very slight hesitation, so I think the lower battery "juice" would make sense as to why the error messages were triggered.

I'll be getting a new battery asap and I am hopeful that things should improve instantly. I'm glad I found this forum, as I was hoping it wasn't something more serious.

I also have a bad AC coil, so that has had me more "involved" with the inner workings of my engine. But I am pretty confident that from the previous posts here that this test message has nothing to do with that.

I was able to do the same thing, something relating to a near dead battery. I was working on my stereo and drained the battery. On a restart this popped up, replaced the Battery and Alt and it hasn't happen since.

On a side note I've been looking for this thread about onboard OBD II tests. But from the looks of it those aren't std OBD codes? Or i wonder if they are in a different format like HEX?
This should be a sticky.

Great thread!

Registered just so I could post to say thanks for saving me a trip to the auto shop! I plan to replace my battery this weekend. My husband and I suspected as much, but reading all of the posts here is serious confirmation.

I honestly felt like I had posted most of what I read here. Could not describe my situation any better.

"Aquaman728" - you are my car's twin! ;)

Diagnostic codes (test)

i know, it sounds completely illogical, but it was 100% the problem for me. The colder the temp, the weirder the behavior. Changed the battery to a costco kirkland and no problems since.

today i received the test on my message board with codes 9352, 9318, and d900.

Every morning my battery would need a jump start. For some odd reason, my battery went dead. I just purchased a brand new battery. Am hoping this has solved the problem.

test diagnostic codes

I never did get any additional information than what I posted. Since I made the post many months back, I have learned that in extremely cold weather (specifically recently over the last month), it has been going back into this TEST mode on its own, which it has not done all summer and fall in the warmer weather. I can run the TEST with the engine on or off, as described in this post. Still though, I do not know what all the codes mean. You will get differing readings with the engine on, and with the engine off, as the engine on will give variable readings. It really can be a helpful test, IF we could find out what all the codes mean. I gave up trying to find them. Lemme know via this post if you can find them, or maybe know a tech that can help. As to WHY it goes into the TEST mode on its own is still a mystery. All I can figure as a simpleton non-mechanic is that with the cold, perhaps a connection somewhere down the line is contracting, closing a circuit, making the test mode run at startup... sounds silly maybe, but....

Best,
Edd

Thank you for the information. it is the first time this occurs to me. But am in very hot weather. Matter of fact, it was about 89 when this occured. if anyone ever finds out what these codes are, please post them. thank you.

test diagnostic codes

I will let you guys know is a couple of days if the battery replacement has solved my problem. great site !

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

diagnostic codes and battery replacement

So REDZONE25, did replacing the battery solve your problems?

I'm having the same problems as described by others (trouble starting, weird DTC codes, self test). Cold doesn't seem to be an issue, unless you consider 70's cold. I did jump my wife's car just before this started. Wonder if I did something wrong, like connecting/disconnecting in the wrong order. FYI I have a 2005 Explorer.

Back