It's HER truck
Reaction score
City, State
Arvoinia, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT, 4.6L
Callsign
KA3NXN
I just developed a ticking noise on my 2002 with a 4.6 engine. The best way to describe it is by listening to the short video I just took of the noise. It does seem to be louder on the right side.

Any ideas?

Here is a link to the sound on my google drive since I can't upload the file to this site.

IMG_2649.MOV

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can’t 100% tell by the clip but sounds like s mini exhaust leak, but I also hear a metallic sound. I would first check your spark plugs, they loosen up over time and strip the threads. I had 2 of them go at one time and sounded very similar to the clip, but I had warning signs for the previous couple months and couldn’t figure it out.

Does it appear to be one of the pulleys bearings?

If that is not it and this would be if it is a metallic sound, I would take a valce cover off to see if anything is wrong. You can check to see if a cam follower or hydraulic lash adjuster has failed or you can also see if something with the timing chain is loose.

How many miles is on it?

-Scott

It’s got 175k on it. I just put new plugs in it about 2 months ago. I’ll check those

It doesn't sound like the exhaust manifold leak. I have one of those. This sounds like something is striking something else.

I agree. At first I thought It was the fan but after a good look it isn’t that

I checked the plugs and they are all nice and tight. That’s not the source of the noise. I’m going to buy a stethoscope next. It’s really hard trying to pinpoint the noise when I’m poking around. It really does sound like the fan is hitting something but I can’t see anything. Can I stop the fan from turning while the engine is running?

You can remove the serpentine belt which will prevent your accessories and the fan from running. This will at least narrow down if it is something internal to the engine or something on the outside. I recommend doing this if the engine is cold since the water pump isn’t running and running too long this way will overheat the engine.

-Scott

chains loose ?

Sounds internal to the engine to me. Definitely not an exhaust leak. Sounds like it could be timing chain related.

You can remove the serpentine belt which will prevent your accessories and the fan from running. This will at least narrow down if it is something internal to the engine or something on the outside. I recommend doing this if the engine is cold since the water pump isn’t running and running too long this way will overheat the engine.

-Scott
Fantastic idea, Scott. I’ll report back once I do this

you can also remove the fan blade. I think it is for bolts.

I removed the belt and started the engine and the noise is still there. It’s internal to the motor. Timing chain slapping? I’ve also heard about cam phasers? Someone mentioned installing phaser lockouts?

The timing chain guides are plastic and known to fail. At 175K miles, it is a good bet that the guides need to be replaced. The SOHC 4.6l V8 doesn't have cam phasers. The Cam sprockets are keyed to the camshafts with no real adjustment. There have been a number of write ups on this forum about doing the timing chain guides. It is not that hard, I have done two of these engines and it took me a full day to do it, but I am not as fast as many when working on the engine. A post for tips on this job is Tips for Timing Chain Service on 4.6L V8

Cam phasers are for 3V motors only

CF7905EC-612F-406D-B06B-56B8ED274F88.jpeg
I found the source of the noise. It is definitely the timing chain look at the attached picture it was so loose that it made a hole right through the timing chain cover. Does anybody know where I can get a replacement timing chain cover? I’ve checked all the local sources and nobody stocks one or even list one.

Well I am glad you found the problem. And Wow you will have to keep that cover as garage art. It is impressive it did that much rubbing prior to you knowing there was an issue.

If you can’t find a new one. I would look at eBay or a junkyard.

I don’t know if the cover is unique to the explorer. Maybe you can get one from a mustang/f-150 and it will work. Someone more familiar with all the minor differences in the 4.6 might be able to help.

fyi You will also have a ton of aluminum shavings. So you will want to do what you can to prevent it from getting to the oil pump and the galleries. Maybe drop the pan and clean it up plus clean the pickup tube as best you can. And do a couple frequent oil/oil filter changes to get the shavings out.

-Scott

I agree with Firefly1246, you really should drop the pan, and clean out all the bits. You will probably find plastic bits from the guides along with aluminum shavings. You should inspect the oil pump inlet for junk. As for the cover, do a search on car-part.com. A quick search shows a couple in VA and more in NC.

Do you think that JB Weld will hold if I use it to fill the holes in the timing chain cover? I spent last night looking through eBay trying to find one with no luck.

F6DA4CAD-B393-4BA5-9517-70704E607758.jpeg
Look what else I found in the process of taking things apart. I Really hate that they replaced a lot of what used to be metal parts in older vehicles with plastic. This is where the upper hose goes into the radiator. Now I have to replace the radiator also.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How difficult is it to remove the oil pan in this truck?

Jaime

Back