Strange ticking noise under load. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Strange ticking noise under load.

View attachment 170493 Look what else I found in the process of taking things apart. I Really hate that they replaced a lot of what used to be metal parts in older vehicles with plastic. This is where the upper hose goes into the radiator. Now I have to replace the radiator also.

That's not because the radiator tanks are plastic. It looks like someone got a little over zealous while removing the upper hose.

Last summer my upper hose removed itself (!) on a hot day in August. It just popped off while my daughter was driving.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's not because the radiator tanks are plastic. It looks like someone got a little over zealous while removing the upper hose.

Last summer my upper hose removed itself (!) on a hot day in August. It just popped off while my daughter was driving.

This is actually a fairly common failure. So most likely was not be over zealous. The plastic degrades over time especially if the coolant isn’t replaced every 5 years.

Good thing radiators are cheap and pretty easy to swap out.

The plastic is as brittle an egg shell. If I squeeze that upper hose inlet with just my fingers it cracks just like an egg.

Today is repair day and look how bad it was. The guide on the right side was in pieces bouncing around.

9E7A9E28-6926-4E38-87B9-536423E95FF1.jpeg

ED3F7515-D653-4972-8E7B-9A2D55588F00.jpeg

6A4EC141-F7A3-4075-B215-A048A5194525.jpeg

One final question. I have had the truck I’ve been running for about two weeks and everything seems fine no leaks she goes down the highway quiet as a church mouse and has plenty of power. The only thing that’s got me a little puzzled is when she’s idling she seems to run a little rough she doesn’t stall or anything this also happens when I come up to a stoplight but she runs a little rough. I don’t know if I have a vacuum hose not plugged in the proper place or something else is a miss, but when she’s going down the highway at normal speed’s she runs like a champ. Any idea what I may be missing? I just went through it again looking at all the vacuum lines and everything seems to be hooked up whether or not they’re hooked up to the right place is a different story.

Back