1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Stripe (again)

Discussion in 'Elite Explorer Registry' started by MrQ, July 2, 2018.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. kmack

kmack Elite Explorer

City, State:
    San Antonio, TX
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1993 Ford Explorer
    Nice read and follow-up on the history of this truck! Keep it running!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. MrQ

MrQ Take the Bull by the Horns Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Stafford, TX
    '93 Limited
    Callsign:
    MrQ
    Haven't really updated this in a bit, mostly due to just driving the crap out of it. I have put over a 1000 miles on Stripe so far and there are still a couple issues to be addressed.

I am pretty sure that the synchros are starting to go on 2nd and 3rd gear as I really have to put some muscle behind it sometimes to get it in gear. It'll work fine one minute and then on the next shift it decides it wants to be difficult.

He is also using coolant at an alarming rate and the smell gets really strong in the cabin with the A/C on, but is not overheating I have bought a new heater core as I believe that is where the leak is, but I have my doubts. I have already replaced the lower intake gaskets to no effect.

And the steering has loosened up quite a bit. It is nearly as bad as it was before the gearbox swap. I think I need to adjust gearbox and he needs another alignment.

I still can't get a gear that gets my speedometer accurate. The 16 tooth is correct up till about 50 mph, then it reads high. The 17 tooth reads low up till 45-ish and then it gets accurate. So far I am just living with it.

The auto dim rearview mirror has also gone bad. Whenever it gets power it goes dark. It's unplugged for now until I get a replacement.

The idle speed is also all over the place. Don't know what that's all about, might be the IAC.

Other than that Stripe is running perfect. Gotta love a first gen. :thumbsup:

4. MrQ

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Stafford, TX
    '93 Limited
    Callsign:
    MrQ
    On Saturday, I finally got to measure the correct bolt size for the 1" body lift. Per @Kris Guilbeaux the right bolt is the one right behind the passenger seat. It's long enough to use in all other 8 positions.

M12-1.75
    Grade 9.8
    120mm overall length
    65mm thread length

The thing is you cannot get aftermarket metric bolts in a grade 9.8, at least not anywhere I have looked. So I am going with a 8.8 grade which is only slightly less strong than the 9.8. Bolt Depot has them for around $2 apiece. I am going to have to go with tap bolts (fully threaded), since the partially threaded ones do not have enough usable thread length. Those will get ordered Friday. The last step in the process is modifying the shifter. Current process is cutting and welding in a 1" extension, there are also 3" adapters out there, but they may be too tall for me.

My biggest issue is that my driving position and short-ass arms require me to pop 3rd and 5th into gear with my fingertips as I don't have the reach, so in the near future Stripe will be getting a short throw shifter (they should have just made them that way from the factory). The other upside to that is I can use my lower cup holder again. :laugh:

• Like Like x 2
  5. MrQ

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Stafford, TX
    '93 Limited
    Callsign:
    MrQ
    So I found out why my steering had loosened up again. Apparently the bolts had come loose holding the steering box to the frame rail. Dunno how that happened :dunno:. I also found out that my fix for the coolant loss, zip tying the overflow hose on the radiator, was insufficient since I was under the vehicle fixing the steering box when a nice big drop fell in my mouth... :censored:. After thoroughly enjoying my coolant mouthwash, I proceeded to hose clamp the sonofabitch. So far we are looking good.

Last edited: April 29, 2019
  6. Kris Guilbeaux

Kris Guilbeaux Elite Demon Secretary Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Austin,Tx
    92 Nav, 99 Mounty, 98 Ex
    Dan, don't be a wimp I keep a bottle of 50/50 pre-mix on my bathroom counter as my regular mouthwash. This is just stripes way of saying he loves you.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MrQ

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Stafford, TX
    '93 Limited
    Callsign:
    MrQ
    Damn... this explains so much. :wtf: