Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Stripped boss for bolt into intake manifold

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by geosnooker2000, July 27, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. geosnooker2000

geosnooker2000 Active Member

City, State:
      Somerville TN
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '10 Eddie Bauer V8 4x4
      I could use an idea or two from you experienced mechanics.
      I noticed upon reassembling my top end (after a head gasket job) that one of the three bolt holes in the intake that the thermostat housing bolts up to is stripped. The other two bolts seem to be holding pretty good, and I don't think I have a leak, but I think it would be better to solve this problem now as opposed to somewhere a hundred miles from my house at some unGodly hour. Or even worse, after I turn my 16 yr. old lose in this thing, and she doesn't check the temp gauge like I do.

What are my options for repairing this thing, short of getting a new intake manifold? It is the upper left bolt (you know, the one with the wiring harness in the way :frustrate ), and I believe part of the bolt is still deep inside the boss.

Thanks,
      George

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Maniak

Maniak Moderator-Stock 91-94 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Vail, Arizona
      1992 XLT 4x4
      One of my thermostat bolt holes has a helicoil in it. We did pull the radiator to get enough room in there to get the drill a straight on shot (even with a 90 degree drill). I don't remember what else we took off, so it must not have been that bad of a job (it was years ago)..

~Mark

4. geosnooker2000

geosnooker2000 Active Member

City, State:
      Somerville TN
      '10 Eddie Bauer V8 4x4
      The mani is aluminum, yes? Should be an easy drill, once I get the crap out of the way. What about the part of the bolt that is still in there? Should I drill it and "ease" it out first?