stronger control arms for 01 Sport trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

stronger control arms for 01 Sport trac

Chargers21

Reaction score
City, State
Missoula, MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
Hello, I just bought some 33x12.5 Mickey Thompson's for my sport trac, and since i put them on my front tires have been cambered so the top of the tire is pushed inward. The tires sit like this / \. I had it realigned and i checked my ball joints and everything is in order, ive heard this is just a problem that happens with bigger tires and the independent front suspension on these trucks. I asked some shops around town and i basically got two answers. The local off road fabrication shop, which i actually used to work at, said that getting stronger control arms would essentially fix the problem. I've found that those are very hard to find and was wondering if anyone on here knows where i could find a set. The other local ford dealership reccomended getting shims for my ball joints, what is your opinion on those? any opinions help, thanks Jack.:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The control arms to not shrink.

If the ball joints are fine, this is not your issue. What you need is a set of camber adjusters with more range of adjustment. An alignment will be required after.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422522

If your truck has excessive negative camber, they did not perform an alignment at all. Any reputable alignment shop should be able to get the proper adjuster cams, but the installation will cost extra over the alignment charge.

X2 on the camber kit

Thanks for the input, ill grab the northstar camber/caster bolt kit and hope it helps.

Back