• Register Today It's free!

Struts or shocks

JESSIJAMES

Reaction score
City, State
BRONX, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT 4.0 6 cylinder
Ok, so after 286,000 miles, I need to replace my suspension. I am not sure if my 2005 Explorer XLT has all shocks and struts or just struts. Also, would like to know what struts/shocks would give me the best ride. I need to know so that I may order them online so I can get this done quickly. I figured who better to turn to then my fellow explorer enthusiasts? Thanks in advance for all of your help and knowledge.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

all 2002-2010 Explorers and second generation Sport Tracs have "strut assemblies" on all 4 corners. It's a shock with a coil spring mounted on it so the shock is enclosed in the coils of the spring.

you can replace the spring and the strut individually, but the disassembly of the two is tricky and it's usually a lot better (especially on a truck with a lot of miles like yours) to replace the entire spring and strut assembly at the same time....you can buy them pre-assembled so it's just a matter of swapping out the whole unit.

I suspect that just about any new strut assembly will improve the ride quality of your truck just by the fact that your existing ones are so old.

There are a number of options out there, but it appears that the most cost effective replacement units are the Struttek units by primechoice auto parts. you can get them for about $75 or so a piece, an a number of people on this forum run them and feel they are good quality.

A more expensive option would be the Quick Strut assembly by Monroe. I am not sure what the difference is but being that they use their "Reflex" line of struts in these assemblies, you can expect them to feel firm over hard bumps and softer during smaller bumps and normal conditions. I ran the Reflex struts on my last truck (2004 Eddie Bauer) and liked them.

Thanx you guys. I was considering the KYB because I've read quite a few people on here have used them too with good results. Guess I'll have to make a decision real soon.
BTW Big Rondo, I have to thank you for your blend door replacement post. In Nov. 2010, I had my mechanic replace it at a cost of $978. It lasted 6 months. My brother and I replaced it again last October and so far it's still working. Keep up the good work everyone. I, for one, and I'm sure other people like me really appreciate all of your help and wisdom.

Ok made my decision and went with StrutTEK assemblies. Great price and from what I read here and on other websites, great reviews. I figured, why not? I already have 286,000 miles. If they last half as long, it's still a great deal. Thank you everyone. Your input was very helpful and now I will once again, ride in comfort.

Thanx you guys. I was considering the KYB because I've read quite a few people on here have used them too with good results. Guess I'll have to make a decision real soon.
BTW Big Rondo, I have to thank you for your blend door replacement post. In Nov. 2010, I had my mechanic replace it at a cost of $978. It lasted 6 months. My brother and I replaced it again last October and so far it's still working. Keep up the good work everyone. I, for one, and I'm sure other people like me really appreciate all of your help and wisdom.

Glad I could help out!! :D

Back