• Register Today It's free!

Stubborn Coolant Leak

BPortz

Reaction score
City, State
York, Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT V8
Ever since I've had my 1997 explorer, I've had issues with adding radiator fluid. After I flushed it and added new fluid, I noticed that the reservoir was soon empty after a day or so. I first thought that I maybe didn't put enough fluid in but I figured out that it started to leak at the weirdest times. As I would keep refilling the reservoir, it wouldn't leak immediately, it would be very delayed or when I get done driving moderate distances (Probably when the engine warms up).

I eventually stopped refilling it as it was clear there was a leak, it seems to be the reservoir considering that I don't overheat and there's still fluid in the radiator, most of it just leaks out of the reservoir somewhere along the line.

I tested for leaks or cracks by blowing into the radiator and putting the cap over the reservoir, the reservoir was filled with air (and held it), making it clear that it has to be something else. The only thing I can guess is that it might be a crack that only opens as the engine warms up, expanding the crack.

The leak seems to drip down somewhere under the reservoir.

the reservoir has a rubber hose that runs to the radiator.. like 2 inches below the cap. the hose is held in place with clips above the fan shroud. you can easily un hook that and check for leaks. generally with heat, things expand which tend to "fill on" the cracks or leaks though. so I wouldn't think your plastic overfill would be cracked.

I had one about that bad. Thermostat Housing. ALL of it. Check that.

The entire Lower housing literally turned to dust and actually partially collapsed into the manifold. This fault in the plastic caused water to Shoot right out the top of the intake manifold, and would shoot the inner lining of the hood. This only happened while on the throttle, y'know, when the water pump is actually generating a strong amount of pressure.

Also found out the lower hose for the Stat housing was within miles of failure as well. Check all of that. Depending what motor you have, might be a dog, might not be so bad.. OH and one more thing. The Stat that comes with the full housing, its a 160. opt for the 180 if you want, but its a bit extra.

Alright that's very notable. I'll be sure to do just that. Thanks ^^

Back