Stuck in 4wd auto | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

hawkboy

Reaction score
City, State
maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ford explorer
I have a 98 ford explorer XLT, it's stuck in 4wd auto with the dash selector on 2wd, and no 4wd light on the dash. so in neutral feet on brake selecting from 2wd to 4wd auto there is no click and cant hear it switch in the tranfer case but the 4wd auto light cames on. selecting from 4wd auto to 4wd low i hear the click and the shift in the tranfer case, dash 4wd low comes on. When reversing going from 4wd low to 4wd auto hear the click and the transfer case switching and light goes to 4wd auto. selecting 4wd auto to 2wd no click heard or switching of the transfer case and 4wd auto light goes out but is still in 4wd auto.

Tried putting vehicle on jack stands to make sure it was in 4wd or 2wd vehicle is in 4wd auto. checked all fuses.

Removed transfer case motor and left electrical connector in. Tried to shift as above in the first paragraph. Shift motor does not rotate going from 2wd to 4wd auto but rotates going from 4wd atuo to 4wd low.

Any suggestions or other testing i can do or does this mean my transfer case shift motor is bad?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is no 2WD in a 98 Explorer Control Track. The switch positions are 4WD-Auto, 4WD-Hi, and 4WD-Lo (last 2 lock the transfer case). Perhaps you have a replacement panel from a '95 or '96 Explorer.

=Vic=

Sounds fine to me. If you jack up all four wheels, then run in AUTO, yes, your front wheels will be turning. That is AUTO 4x4.

drdoom and Beargap are right. Sounds like someone replaced the radio bezel with one from a 95-96. The control-trac t-case does not move the motor unless you shift to 4lo. 4auto to 4hi just applies the clutch at 100%.

Stuck in 4wd

I've looked into the awd theroy, if was found that for the 98 ford explorer XLT the only way its a awd is if its a V8 5.0L. I have the V6 4.0L sohv. so come to found out it is stuck in 4wd auto.

Any other suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

its couldnt be awd because i have the V6 4.0L sohv. Only the 98 ford explorer with the V8 5.0L has the awd

You might be confused, I don't think anyone mentioned AWD. You're right, AWD came in the v8 explorers, your v6 has the control-trac auto4wd/4hi/4lo. No 2wd option.

4wd auto

Its believed my 98 explorer V6 4.0L sohc is 4wd auto with control track. I think the dash panel has been replaced with a 96 explorer. Question- should I hear the switching click when switching between 4Auto and 4wd high. or should I just hear it between 4wd high and 4wd low.
Any in sight would be helpful.. thanks

You won't hear any switching of the shift motor between 4auto and 4hi. The only thing you'll hear is between 4hi and 4lo. Auto to 4hi is done electrically, 4hi to 4lo uses the shift motor to mechanically engage the shift collar. That's what you hear.

The unit is always in auto 4wd unless you select otherwise.
I hear no noise (click) when selecting 4H, only when in neutral selecting 4Low.
Your truck seems to be operating correctly.

The owners manual might be a good read for you. If you don't own one, google it.

thank you for all the input. makes me feel a whole lot better. thanks again

Back