• Register Today It's free!

Stuck in Icy Idaho Need help!!!

Nate88

Reaction score
City, State
idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie Bauer
I was supposed to leave yesterday for home, my explorer has been making funny noises when in park or neutral. Last night I couldn't get it started and it sounded like the started had gone bad, i put a new one on and still get the same thing, it seems like the starter cant reach the fly wheel and on the one i took off the fly wheel had ground into part of the stater, this leads me to believe the flywheel is warped or the bolts are loose so the torque converter is rattling around and has allowed the fly wheel to move off center. is there an observation panel i can take off and get to that area, any other advice would help too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd check for a cracked flywheel... some cracking/break problem in the web around the flywheel bolts.... I've seen a flywheel completely broken with just the center still bolted to the crank. I have heard of gear rings coming undone too... never seen that though. Unfortunately this is not an easy fix... you will need to pull the trannie to replace the flywheel (flexplate on automatics)... I hope it might be something else but you describe a rather textbook situation. Good luck. (BTW it's -10 in MT right now.)

Is there any way to get a look at the flywheel besides where the starter comes off? Also would lit be possible to unhook the tranny and slide it back 3-4 inches and replace the flywheel or does it have to come all the way off?

I actually got lucky, I am up in North Idaho at my parents for the holidays with my wife and son, we were all packed and set to leave and it just wouldn't start. I say lucky because i have to drive through Montana to get home for about 5 hours and if this would have happened somewhere along the way I would be in a Much worse situation. As it is it's sitting in my dads garage which is a much better place to work on it.

How far north in Idaho? If you are anywhere near Boise and need any help let me know.

I am up in Coeur D'Alene and have to be back in Rexburg to start school on wednesday, I was finally able to rotate the flex plate a little and now you can see the huge crack in it. I should be able to get the parts and get it done tomorrow and hopefully be on my way. Thanks for everyones input. Glacier991 you were dead on.

Back