1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Stuck in Icy Idaho Need help!!!

Discussion in 'Elite Explorer 911!' started by Nate88, January 2, 2005.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Nate88

Nate88 New Member

City, State:
      idaho
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      92 Eddie Bauer
      I was supposed to leave yesterday for home, my explorer has been making funny noises when in park or neutral. Last night I couldn't get it started and it sounded like the started had gone bad, i put a new one on and still get the same thing, it seems like the starter cant reach the fly wheel and on the one i took off the fly wheel had ground into part of the stater, this leads me to believe the flywheel is warped or the bolts are loose so the torque converter is rattling around and has allowed the fly wheel to move off center. is there an observation panel i can take off and get to that area, any other advice would help too.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Glacier991

Glacier991 EF Tranny Guru Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Sacramento, CA 95827
      1992 XLT
      I'd check for a cracked flywheel... some cracking/break problem in the web around the flywheel bolts.... I've seen a flywheel completely broken with just the center still bolted to the crank. I have heard of gear rings coming undone too... never seen that though. Unfortunately this is not an easy fix... you will need to pull the trannie to replace the flywheel (flexplate on automatics)... I hope it might be something else but you describe a rather textbook situation. Good luck. (BTW it's -10 in MT right now.)

4. Nate88

Nate88 New Member

City, State:
      idaho
      92 Eddie Bauer
      Is there any way to get a look at the flywheel besides where the starter comes off? Also would lit be possible to unhook the tranny and slide it back 3-4 inches and replace the flywheel or does it have to come all the way off?

5. Nate88

Nate88 New Member

City, State:
      idaho
      92 Eddie Bauer
      I actually got lucky, I am up in North Idaho at my parents for the holidays with my wife and son, we were all packed and set to leave and it just wouldn't start. I say lucky because i have to drive through Montana to get home for about 5 hours and if this would have happened somewhere along the way I would be in a Much worse situation. As it is it's sitting in my dads garage which is a much better place to work on it.

6. NOTAJP

NOTAJP Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Mountain Home AFB, ID
      No more Exploder
      How far north in Idaho? If you are anywhere near Boise and need any help let me know.

7. Nate88

Nate88 New Member

City, State:
      idaho
      92 Eddie Bauer
      I am up in Coeur D'Alene and have to be back in Rexburg to start school on wednesday, I was finally able to rotate the flex plate a little and now you can see the huge crack in it. I should be able to get the parts and get it done tomorrow and hopefully be on my way. Thanks for everyones input. Glacier991 you were dead on.