1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

stuck in Phoenix ! Calling all Phoenix Members!!!

Discussion in 'Elite Explorer 911!' started by prozachappy, December 22, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. prozachappy

prozachappy Active Member

City, State:
      SoCal
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      94 explorer...sportster
      Calling all Phoenix Members!!!
      Any Phoenix Connections???
      I'm on my way to Dallas for Christmas with family. Started getting hesitation, stumbling, and the check engine light. Could hear exhaust leak near Y-pipe and left exhaust manifold. Found out my Exhaust manifold had a crack in it. After going to a number of shops... all telling me they can't order the part, get it fixed, and get me back on the road in enough time for me to make it home by Christmas, I finally found a guy willing to go the extra mile. He couldn't order an exhaust manifold soon enough either, but found one at a junk yard.
      Here's the problem: Mine has the EGR tube and set up for Cal Emissions. The only exhaust manifold he could locate was the standard one w/ out the EGR hole. So he just pluged my EGR tube, said it should work fine. Well, I'm still in Phoenix...have a hissing or suction noise coming from the engine bay, check lights on, hesitation...and so on. Called the guy as he was closing at 5:30, he says it sounds like my Cat is clogged...and thats probably what caused my manifold to crack. Wants me to bring it in first thing in the morning.
      Anyone know if this guy is full of s#$% or what?
      Will my engine run properly without the EGR system. Or is my PCM going to read restricted backflow and keep stumbling?

I need help fast!!! I have to get to Dallas...no one wants to spend Christmas stranded 900 miles from home! If I don't get on the road by mid-day tomorrow, I'll never make it home in time. I know someone on the site has connections here in Phoenix??? Can anyone help? PLEASE? know where I can take my X here...or have access to the exhaust manifold I need? I'm off of 37th and Union Hills. My cell is (817) 319-2449.
      Thanks Jason

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. section525

section525 sextion525 Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Red Bluff, Ca
      1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
      Did you plug both ends of the EGR? If the tube is still open it'll be sucking air through it.

4. svande8952

svande8952 Active Member

City, State:
      Prescott, AZ
      '94 Sport
      your EGR will not react the same. The computer may be set up differently, but just because the check engine light is on does not mean the car will die. get the right manifold when you get to DAL, if the truck runs good, just ignore the CEL.

5. prozachappy

City, State:
      SoCal
      94 explorer...sportster
      Both ends ?? They plugged the tube end that feeds into the exhaust manifold, but as far as the other end of the EGR pipe I believe it is connected to the EGR valve and the DPFE sensor...so there should be no vac leaks on that end. I'll go double check...but I already checked for loses hoses.
      Do you think my 4.0 w EGR and Cal emissions can run on the standard 4.0 OHV setup? I would suspect that I would need a PCM programmed for the reg. 4.0 ! But... I'm no expert. I hope it's just the cat! Anybody Else ????
      If anyone has someone here in Phoenix who does good work, and they trust.. let me know !!!

6. prozachappy

City, State:
      SoCal
      94 explorer...sportster
      The truck runs very bad !! No power, I can hear loud hissing on accel., severe hesitation. No chance of driving it to D like this, or I would just do it right myself when I get home. So you think the EGR system is my problem ? I need that backflow exhaust into the intake.. in order for the PCM to send the correct air/fuel mix don't I??? Know where I can find the exhaust manifold w/ EGR...tonight or in the morning?

7. MustangShane

MustangShane Active Member

City, State:
      Lake Orion, Mi
      1991 4dr XLT 4x4.
      Calm down. I think your cats might be clogged too forcing the exhaust gasses out any way they can get out. The built up back pressure and lack of flow will cripple your engine. If it were me. Just to get me some where I'd get a long prybar remove the cat and pound out the inerts. But just to get me by until I could replace it when I arrived at my destination. Although you might like the extra power, hehe.

8. V8BoatBuilder

V8BoatBuilder Transplanted Bostonian

City, State:
      East Brunswick, NJ
      97 Mountaineer V8 4x4
      1) Make sure that the EGR is indeed plugged where it attaches to the intake manifold. If that's open, then you'll be getting un-metered air into the intake and this will cause hissing and poor running.

2) If it is plugged, and the cat is indeed bad, gut it. Drive home, and then get a new one.

Your PCM won't like the fact that the EGR is gone, and will throw a CEL, but the truck will drive fine.

9. Glacier991

Glacier991 EF Tranny Guru Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Sacramento, CA 95827
      1992 XLT
      Have you also checked at the octopus? It might be a vacuum leak somewhere else maybe? Unrelated? Just a thought

10. Ozonkiller

Ozonkiller New Member

City, State:
      Waddell, AZ
      '97 XLT
      I'd loan you my truck to get home but the trans just died in my explorer today. That's why I cam to this sight. Sorry. Meineke muffler at 75th ave. and Indian school should be able to knock out the cat for you. They've done 4 or 5 exhausts for me over the years. Good people. To try and trouble shoot the cat, you can just loosen the inlet to the cat to allow the gases to excape. If it runs better then it's a good probability that's your problem

11. Ozonkiller

Ozonkiller New Member

City, State:
      Waddell, AZ
      '97 XLT
      Sorry, I just saw the time of your post. A day late... i hope it all has worked out for you. Keep us posted.

12. jeff96

jeff96 Active Member

City, State:
      Fayetteville, NC
      03 Ninja 636, 96 Ex Sport
      fyi for future,for a temporary fix i had a buddy (he's also a mechanic) just drill holes through his cat when it was clogged until he could afford to get a new one. Sounded like shit but it ran.

13. duckdog27

duckdog27 Member

City, State:
      Syracuse, NY
      '94 XLT
      Does it have no power when the engine is cold? My 94XLT only acted up when it was warm (no power or acceleration) and the fuel pump sender was the culprit (when it warmed up it would short out and would not provide enough fuel pressure). If it acts up when the engine is hot and cold, then it is probably a cat, but if it acts up only when warm I would recommend you have the fuel pressure checked.

14. prozachappy

City, State:
      SoCal
      94 explorer...sportster
      Thanks for all the input guys...it was the EGR tube. The guy had only plugged it with silicone, which just got sucked back into my intake causing a huge vac leak! I stoped by Home Depot got a big threaded bolt and some JB weld and plugged the hole. Still had a minor vac leak, but it held long enough to get me home.
      Drove straight through ( 17 hrs ) but made it just in time for our family Christmas !!!
      I'll be here for a few weeks...so I'll be able to fix her myself, and get it done right. As long as I'm forking out money for an exhaust manifold, does anyone know of any aftermarket headers for the 4.0 ?
      Thanks again to all...and to all a good night !
      Merry Christmas !!!

15. Glacier991

Glacier991 EF Tranny Guru Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Sacramento, CA 95827
      1992 XLT
      YAY ! A Christmas story on our own Board! Congrats, and Merry Christmas!

16. Eneurb

Eneurb Active Member

City, State:
      Ajax, Ontario, Canada
      1998 Limited
      Just be aware that silicone and oxygen sensors don't get along too well... congrats on making it home!