Stuck on a Caribbean island (not paradise island) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stuck on a Caribbean island (not paradise island)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curacao Steve

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Explorer
Hi all, I have read through the threads (no, not EVERY single one) and can't find exactly my problem.

Was driving along fine and the engine died. Multiple attempts at restart with the engine trying (catching for 2 or 3 secs) but then dying. Checked fuel filter (good), fuel pump relay (good), and fuel pump (runs and produces reasonable pressure, but unmeasured). Code 543 seems to be the clue but I haven't found a good diagnostic set of "rule outs" for what the problem might be. Some say cam position sensor (CMP) but there seems to be a large question if my 93 explorer has one. With multiple tries at restarting, it catches or wants to catch just when you turn the key, but it dies every time. Vigorous pumping of the accelerator pedal sometimes produces slightly better results, but again only for a very few seconds. I bypassed the fuel pump relay with a bridge wire (pump running constantly, could hear it) but there was no difference in the symptoms.

Now the fun part: I am stuck on a small Caribbean island where they have lots of cars that are actually composed of several cars, mine included, and they don't always get made into a good car. Mine has been running more or less ok for 2 years, but now it won't start. Parts are horribly expensive here and qualified help is a joke or worth more than gold, and who has gold to pay for car repairs?

I am good with mechanical stuff, but my last car repair days were in the '70s as a VW doctor, and cars these days are certainly not your (grand)father's Oldsmobile.

Helllp!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you searched for the Idle Air Controller (IAC)?

Wouldn't the IAC throw a code if there was a problem there? Also, since 543 is the fuel pump secondary circuit code, is the IAC part of that circuit?

The IAC will not throw a code. Are you able to keep it running if you use the throttle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back