Stumped with squealing & chirping noises | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stumped with squealing & chirping noises

ExplorerAWD1999

Reaction score
City, State
Wheatland, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
I have a 1999 Explorer AWD 5.0. Every once in awhile it would make a chirp noise when driving. About two weeks ago a loud squealing started and the CEL came on. Took it to a shop, had water pump, clutch fan and idler pulley replaced. Mechanic said that the noise was still present so he rev'd it up and held it around 3500 RPMS and the noise quit. Got it home, of course noise started again. Replaced alternator. CEL still on. Noise was still present, rev'd it up and held it at around 2000 RPMS and the loud high pitched Xena sounding squeal turned into a chirping noise that seems to slow down after the engine warms up but doesn't fully go away especially when accelerating. Tested the cam shaft sensor, and it's good. Removed the belt and the noise was no longer present, BUT all pulleys and belt seem fine. This is driving us INSANE and costing way too much time and money. Also, no problems with power steering or the air conditioner. HELP PLEASE!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you need to grab a mechanics stethoscope (like less than 5 dollars for a cheap one at an autoparts store.. there are much more expensive digital ones however) and do some thorough auditory exploration..

That's what I'd do.

What codes do you have? Pull the sensor off and put a couple drops of oil down it and see if the noise goes away. The CMP synch drive shaft is probably your culprit.

It is probably your camshaft position sensor as just said. I would remove your drive belt and see if it still makes the noise and if it does, it is likely your camshaft position sensor. Then try the drops of oil down in it and see if it changes. Why the mechanic did not remove the drive belt at the start of his troubleshooting it hard for me to understand. I would be wanting my money back on his labor for those things he replaced that did not fix it.

Sounds like you need to grab a mechanics stethoscope (like less than 5 dollars for a cheap one at an autoparts store.. there are much more expensive digital ones however) and do some thorough auditory exploration..

That's what I'd do.

Yep...worked for me in tracking my squeak down to the alternator bearings.

remove the belt and run the engine for a minute and see if you still have the noise. if you do it's probably the CPS, which is a pretty common problem. if you replace it, stay away from Dorman brand replacement. this is one part i think i'd pop for the Motorcraft part, even though it's expensive. as suggested, you can also try putting some oil on it to verify that it is the problem, but with the belt off there really isn't much else it can be.

Taking it to a mechanic in the next little town over...Will be back with hopefully more information

The new mechanic read the code and said it's the cam synchronizer, not the sensor but the entire assembly that has failed. He is going to fix it Monday. I will let everyone know. Thank you all for your help

Thank you all! The bearing in the cam synchronizer had broke which was causing the chirping and squealing. Changed it today, and truck is awesome again. :)

Back