• Register Today It's free!

larrydd999

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Port Angeles, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT, 94 Limited
Had to replace a subwoofer in our '94 Limited last week. I noticed that prices go from about $10 to hundreds, but somehow I can't justify spending a lot on a sound system in a vehicle that's not all that quiet. I ended up purchasing a Pyle PLPW6D for $14.05 off everyone's favorite auction site. It has a dual 4 ohm voice coil and more than adequate power rating. The failed speaker has a DC resistance of 4.8 ohms, so I figured that I could either use one of the 4 ohm coils or - if necessary - series them for 8 ohms if the amplifier didn't want to handle it, but it's working fine with the one 4 ohm coil. The speaker fit nicely, although I had to slightly elongate the mounting holes to match the threaded housing. I also had to solder pigtails to the coil tabs because the push-on connectors on the wires from the amplifier didn't match. It's been in and working fine for a week now. Perhaps an true audiophile wouldn't be satisfied, but I am.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Being someone that's been into higher end audio, I think you did good. Car audio is expensive and doesn't work well with all the reflections and poor acoustics inside a vehicle, not to mention road noise. Most car audio is marketed towards those that just like to feel a thumpy bass and don't care about actual quality. Getting a decent subwoofer and soldering it in means it will likely outlast the speakers now. Thanks for posting part numbers so others can do the repair as well.

If you get bored with the 6" sub, you could carve out the OEM enclosure to accept an 8", but the OEM grill will need modification.

Click on image for larger view.
th_Solobaric2.jpg

th_greensubcover_zpsu3e6j6nl.jpg

Thats funny this came up. Just today I was at the junkyard for an unrelated reason, and happened across a 2000 explorer eddie bauer with a factory 8" subwoofer. I pulled the box out and got it for $25. I broke the cover, which didn't match my interior anyway, but now I need to come up with a cover. Has anyone tried making their own? I don't know that I can match the gray color, so I was thinking either black plastic, or aluminum diamond plate.

@2stroke, I have a grey one that I used before I finally ran across a green one, if you want it. PM me if interested. I think I have other colors also. Possibly an unaltered 98+ tan also.

th_DSC00451.jpg

th_0814092243.jpg

The Stealthbox units had 10" woofers in them, and only used a metal mesh the size of the OEM piece to cover it. I haven't installed mine yet and I'm not sure how it's intended to attach. But it is a simple black metal mesh.

@2stroke, I have a grey one that I used before I finally ran across a green one, if you want it. PM me if interested. I think I have other colors also. Possibly an unaltered 98+ tan also.

th_DSC00451.jpg

th_0814092243.jpg
If they pass I also need a grey cover for my 95 I am planning to swap in a EB box.

Back