• Register Today It's free!

Sucking sound under load

old fart

Reaction score
City, State
Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
So driving to work this morning there is an obvious sucking sound coming from the passenger side engine compartment. It only does it when its under hard acceleration. I checked all the vacuum lines and they seem to be OK... nothing unplugged or cracked... Any ideas?

Its an 02 XLT with the 4.0L.... I wasn't running the AC.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

old fart said:
So driving to work this morning there is an obvious sucking sound coming from the passenger side engine compartment. It only does it when its under hard acceleration. I checked all the vacuum lines and they seem to be OK... nothing unplugged or cracked... Any ideas?

Its an 02 XLT with the 4.0L.... I wasn't running the AC.

first time you ever heard it?

Yep... It was fine last week and it sat all weekend... this is the first time I took it out...

OK... So it definatley sounds like a vacuum leak. When I turn off the X it sounds like something is deflating from the passenger side... could be inside even.

Any ideas?

If it's inside, there is a vacuum line under the passenger glovebox that can be unplugged unknowingly by a big pair of passenger feet. Not sure what it's for, but it gets louder under acceleration. I had similar symptoms a while back, found that vaccuum line and hooked it back up, everything back to normal.

Back