sudden loss of acceleration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

sudden loss of acceleration

BillySpen7x

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer XLT
I've got a well worn 92 ford explorer xlt that has suddenly had a decrease in acceleration. When I ease off the accelerator it will gradually get up to speed, but loses it on inclines. It chokes, doesn't stall, the check engine light comes on for a moment then goes off. The engine temperature has recently began to increase and decrease. Fuel consumption is up. I'm just a simple man with simple capabilities who would rather fix things himself when possible. I'm not a mechanic and don't have specific tools or testers to check all the sensors. Your forum has helped me a great deal so far with numerous other issues, but this one seems to be any number of things causing it. I bought this explorer 5 years ago for $600, just turned either 200k or 300k miles last week, and it has proven to be a dependable vehicle that has outlasted several other newer more expensive vehicles in my family. I'd rather not spend more than its worth to repair, but don't want to give up too soon on what may something simple. Leaning to O2 sensor replacement and possibly MAF sensor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No fancy tools required;

You can drive (putt) over to your auto parts store and have them pull the computer data (codes).

Or learn the paper clip method to do it yourself.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255962

Just Google "Ford OBD-I trouble codes" for the list.

I personally have a more comprehensive list with better "real" repair info, but due to licensing I can not post it here; but feel free to post your trouble codes here and I'll have a look.

Strange. I was told a 92 doesn't have codes that could be read, even by those auto parts stores. Problems had to be figured out by good old fashioned experienced mechanics with the right tools.

Checked out threads regarding codes, found code list in the Haynes manual, going to try it out in the next few days. I'm so thankful to have found this forum. Where I live everyone who changes their own oil and spark plugs thinks they're a mechanic. The kids at the auto parts places often give me the "deer in the headlights" look when I ask for certain parts. Hopefully checking the codes with the paperclip or wire method will tell me what I should replace instead of me just throwing parts at it.

checked the codes and got 185 (Mass Airflow lower than expected) and 186 (Injector Pulse width higher than expected). anyone have input on the cause? bad MAF sensor? injector issue? fuel pump issue? One possibility I was given was bad o2 sensor.

The MAF 185 code is associated with the 186.

The data from the MAF is causing the pulse width error.

The MAF is bad.

Highly recommend going with MotorCraft for replacement.

Nice and easy eh?

Oh, just in case the MAF is located on the air box were the intake tube connects. Two screws, Cake.

The MAF has two elements that look like light bulb elements. If they are not broken some of this may do the trick:

Very delicate no scrubbing! NO touch!

crc_zpsd44fb140.jpg

The elements and posts should be bright and shinny "nickel" shinny.

corrosion on the base plate is not an issue.

Inspect the black plastic gasket for damage. A leak here will throw it off.

There is no gasket for the base plate, metal-to-metal there.

This pic shows a "dirty" MAF dull, not shinny.

MAF1_zpseda0766b.jpg

how do u test the maf? take an Ohm reading with the engine off and one running? I think mine is going but i cant check codes because of a wiring issue.

Just look at it. :)

If the probes are broken it's junk.

If it's dirty clean it. :thumbsup:

No moving parts in there. They fail. They don't "go bad" over time,

they get dirty or corroded.

If you attempt to clean it but it's so bad you can't get the junk off with just the cleaner; it's shot. :(

Most places sell you the whole body with the sensor.

There is a core charge, so you get like $75 back when you turn in your core.

It's to delicate to ship on it's own.

If you buy just the sensor they will not exchange it, for two reasons; it's an electronic component and very easy to break when installing.

Better to do the core exchange and get a fresh clean full assembly.

Not at all hard to find. Any parts store.

Here's a link to RockAuto; Just to see prices and what's available. Go local so you don't have to play the shipping game.

Highly recommend sticking with MotorCraft.. . and it's not the most expensive!

https://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,ca...RD_EXPLORER_4.0L_V6_Mass_Air_Flow_Sensor.html

changed the MAF sensor, no change. I'm ready the Exploder in for something else.

Back