1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Suddenly you are submerged….

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by aldive, October 2, 2002.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. aldive

aldive Elite In Memoriam

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1999 XLT
    Well. years ago when I was a poor college student, I would go spearfishing and lobstering under that infamous bridge ( on the sly, of course )and never once even saw a shark must less was bothered by one. Sharks are rather rare and the hype about their aggressive nature is mostly media generated for sensationalism.

The biggest concern I would have about “going off” the 7 Mile Bridge would be impact with the water.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. tripleoption

tripleoption Active Member

City, State:
    KOSH
    '00 XLT
    I agree with the sensationalism thing. The media tends to do that. However, just last spring I rented a boat from Capt. Pips (north end of 7MB) and went fishing on the gulf side, a few miles northwest of the bridge. Not only did we catch small sharks, we spotted a hammerhead within 15 feet of our boat. I estimate it was in the 12 foot range. Despite what locals may say, I have no interest in going in the water down there. In the boat is fine with me. I fed the tarpons, too. They freak me out.

4. aldive

aldive Elite In Memoriam

1999 XLT
    Indeed you catch sharks when fishing and can see them in the water from a boat, but sharks are generally a very shy critter and are not interested in swimming with man.

5. rocket 5979

rocket 5979 Resident Gearhead

City, State:
    Lake Villa, Illinois
    '03 XLT 4.6
    what i would do

i would try to get out as soon as possible if the car floated for a few seconds. if i somehow let myself dickoff for long enough to reach the bottom and my windows are still up i would just pull a homer simpson from that one episode and use my glock and shoot my seat belt off. (holding it off of my chest of course) yeah yeah i could just unbuckle it but it wouldnt fit the story. then i would just shoot the back window out after holding a deep breath and while it is filling up with water holster my gun and then swim out. after getting to shore i would hold the a- hole that did this to me up take his car drive it into the same body of water then proceed to shoot his gas tank and other sensitive things on his car. then after i was out of rounds i would probably throw his ass in too. then sit back and wait for someone to pass by. :D well ok maybe i would just shoot my back window out and hold breath and crawl out of it.

6. Spas

Spas Explorer addict Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Freakland, Pa
    '95 Sport
    >laughing hysterically but trying to take advice seriously<

Electric windows short out....power locks wouldn't inadvertantly lock the door permanently once shorted out, would they? Maybe not on an X since they release when you pull the inside door handle whether locked or not, but not all vehicles do that...sometimes you have to maunually unlock power doors (learned this from hauling dozens of vehicles, usually the hard way, after locking myself out of a tow vehicle and with its alarm going off :rolleyes:

Me personally would only leave my dying truck for some violent revenge..otherwise I'd probably be distraught enough to stay with it. Yeah yeah, human life isn't worth a car....You guys have no idea how much I love my X tho!

7. aldive

aldive Elite In Memoriam

1999 XLT
    True, but you cannot open them against the hydralic pressure until the truck is filled and the pressure equalized.

8. Spas

Spas Explorer addict Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Freakland, Pa
    '95 Sport
    It would take a while to fill up if all the doors were shut and the windows were rolled up, right? Ten minutes maybe?

I'm just wondering if the power locks would prohibit you from opening the door at all, even if it was fully submerged and filled with water....enquiring minds need to know these things ;)

9. aldive

aldive Elite In Memoriam

1999 XLT
    I have been in cars that took over 5 min to fill and in some that filled almost immediately.

The doors should be able to be opened unless damaged in the "crash".

We Support Our Troops!