Sueprchips compatibility question

TheJMan

Reaction score
City, State
Scottsdale, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Mazda 3 Hatchback
Superchips compatibility question

I found a pretty good deal on a Superchips performance chip for a 1991 Explorer. I was just wondering if the chip would fit a 1993 Explorer. Are there different computer codes from 1991 to 1993 that would prevent the chip from working? The 1993 that my brother has does not have EGR, so I don't see how much different it would be from a 1991.

Also, would I be able to send the chip away (obviously for a fee) to get it reburned if it is not compatible?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most aftermarket programming is limited in 1st generation Explorers. Ask Doug at bamachips.com for more info.

TheJMan said:
I found a pretty good deal on a Superchips performance chip for a 1991 Explorer. I was just wondering if the chip would fit a 1993 Explorer. Are there different computer codes from 1991 to 1993 that would prevent the chip from working? The 1993 that my brother has does not have EGR, so I don't see how much different it would be from a 1991.

Also, would I be able to send the chip away (obviously for a fee) to get it reburned if it is not compatible?

For this chip to work, it would have to match the computer code in your truck.

Yes, it possibly can be reflashed to your code. As mentioned before, the best source for this service and information is Doug Studdard at Bama Chips ( http://www.bamachips.com/ )

Good luck .......

Superchip no longer supports 91-94 Explorer's. They will not re-burn it to your truck. Get his computer code & see if it matches yours. If not it won't work. Not sure if bama chips will reflash a non in house chip.

Jason94sport said:
Superchip no longer supports 91-94 Explorer's. They will not re-burn it to your truck. Get his computer code & see if it matches yours. If not it won't work. Not sure if bama chips will reflash a non in house chip.
I had a Superchip in my 1994 Explorer and it sucked! Truck missed at idle, used only premium gas and the check engine light came on all the time. Sometimes, it would even rev up all by itself! Had another Superchip as a replacement warranty for the first one, did the same thing. I did notice a very slight power advantage, could have been from the premium gas though. I still have both of them in my workbench drawer where they belong. When I had a Porsche, I had a racing chip in that, and it work great. Higher revs, higher top end.

I had one also for my old 94. Didn't have any problems with it. Didn't notice a bit of difference except $$ for 93 gas.

Back