Summer Tires - thoughts? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Summer Tires - thoughts?

WillieTell

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 ExSport in prodction
My soon to arrive ExSport is looking to purchase Summer Tires, 265/45/20. I've not read great reviews on the ContiSports suggesting the wear is brutal. Yokohama, Pirelli?

Cheers WT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whoops, just noticed you guys get taller tires - 255/50 stock.
Hankook doesn't offer a size as big as your 30" tires unfortunately, the 255/45 are 29" tall.
My bad.
:)

My soon to arrive ExSport is looking to purchase Summer Tires, 265/45/20. I've not read great reviews on the ContiSports suggesting the wear is brutal. Yokohama, Pirelli?

Cheers WT
For what it's worth, I'm running the 255/50R20 Yokohama Parada Spec-X in place of the OEM Hankooks which I took off the day I picked up my Limited.
They are a very good tire. Don't know about Winter traction since I use dedicated Winter tires but they do seem to have a more aggressive thread than the Hankooks on the Limited. I don't have any info on the ContiSports.
NOTE: that is not my rim.

Peter

Attachments

• yokohama_specx.jpg
    yokohama_specx.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 473

I would suggest the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 in 255/45/20
Cheap, STICKY and awesome.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hankook&tireModel=Ventus+V12+evo+K110
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/hankook-ventus-v12-evo-page-10
Do some reviews these tires are fantastic. I just bought a set for my Flex, huge difference in traction.

I had a different version, but still Hankook Ventus and while they were awesome in the summer and even on wet roads, they SUCKED in any kind of ice, mud, or loose terrain.

**on my F150

For what it's worth, I'm running the 255/50R20 Yokohama Parada Spec-X in place of the OEM Hankooks which I took off the day I picked up my Limited.
They are a very good tire. Don't know about Winter traction since I use dedicated Winter tires but they do seem to have a more aggressive thread than the Hankooks on the Limited. I don't have any info on the ContiSports.
NOTE: that is not my rim.

Peter

Thanks Peter, I'll snoop around. I've always been a fan of Yokohama and like you I want dedicated Summer/Winter tires. All weather tires are useless, IMO. The Optional Summer Tires Ford offer are 265/45/20... I think I'd enjoy less wall and more floor. :D

I had a different version, but still Hankook Ventus and while they were awesome in the summer and even on wet roads, they SUCKED in any kind of ice, mud, or loose terrain.

**on my F150

Thanks Raider. Aren't they all weather tires? If so, don't expect much from them on ice.

Whoops, just noticed you guys get taller tires - 255/50 stock.
Hankook doesn't offer a size as big as your 30" tires unfortunately, the 255/45 are 29" tall.
My bad.
:)

Thanks 4DRHTRD
Now thats a sexy tire. Either TireRack are sold out of the 255/50 or 265/45 or they don't make them. What size are you running? Cheers

Thanks 4DRHTRD
Now thats a sexy tire. Either TireRack are sold out of the 255/50 or 265/45 or they don't make them. What size are you running? Cheers
255/45/20, they make a HUGE difference, just looks like about 3/4" shorter. You'll get a higher gear ratio out of it though.... :)

The 265 continetals are awesome.... Handling and traction are a huge improvment over the hankooks....i have them and im impressed by this tire

The 265 continetals are awesome.... Handling and traction are a huge improvment over the hankooks....i have them and im impressed by this tire

Thanks thePUNISHER,

How's the wear on them? I've read some reviews that they wear quickly.

3000 mi so not sure yet..... You wont find a dedicated performance summer tire you can get more than 15k-20k out of..... The compound isnt designed for longevity....

Theyre not cheap... I work at the dealer... My price 440$ ea.....

I've had the summer tires on mine for 6,000 miles now and they don't even look worn at all yet. I've been very happy with them. I've always run summer tires and I am not expecting anything more than 20,000 miles, but so far it looks like I might actually get to 25,000 miles.

3000 mi so not sure yet..... You wont find a dedicated performance summer tire you can get more than 15k-20k out of..... The compound isnt designed for longevity....

Are they the ContiSports? I'm having a hard time trying to work out which continentals are the optional tires.

Here's what I've been eyeing off...
P Zeros
Advan S.T.

And then there's the continental's,.. But which one?

Cheers WT

They are Conti Sport 5 SUV's. I can find the 5's on the web site, but no mention of the SUV version which may be a harder compound.

I'm curious if the Ford dealerships in the States have the same slogan as the ones here. We will not be undersold on tires. I was told that it does not apply to Costco pricing.
Thanks

Peter

Back