Summer/Winter trail bag- What's in yours? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Summer/Winter trail bag- What's in yours?

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
20161029_114007.jpg

The weather is changing and it's time to go thru and see what all you have and more importantly, what you need, in your trail bag.
It's also a good time to clean out the bags and boxes of trash and spilt fluids.
...I make it a habit of doing all my repairs year round out of my trail bags just so I know what I have and what I am missing in case I break down in the middle of nowhere.
....Sometimes it's like a gift bag as I just found I had 3 hubs, a new set of spindle nuts in bag, and a spindle c-clip I didn't even know I had along with brake bolts, brake clips/slides, spare brake line, coil spring retainer bolt and cups, a wire brush for welding and a BFH. :hammer:
...Of course I'm needing a driveshaft bolt for a head I snapped off and one of them splined washers that everyone forgets about.

What is your trail bag ritual? What is the most important thing you want in your trail bag and what is it you always seem to be missing?

In summer I make sure I have sunscreen and bug spray in my truck. If I go winter wheeling I make sure I have a good jacket with me. If I am going snow wheeling I make sure I bring an entire change of clothes including extra shoes. If I get soaked in the snow I want to be able to get into dry cloths ASAP. Could literally be a life saver.

The normal bag (which is actually several bags inside a cargo box) consists of spare hoses, belt, thermostat, ignition coil, plug wire, rtv, gear oil, trans fluid, motor oil, brake fluid, winch solenoid, d44 hubs, d44 hub socket, all internal hub snap rings/nuts/washers, electrical connectors, fuses, brake lines and fittings, hose clamps, bulk hose, 1/4-1/2" socket set, basic hand tools, antifreeze, penetrating oil and starting fluid. Like Ted, I use these tools when working on the vehicle so I know what condition everything is in and if I am missing anything from trail repairs.

I keep a locked ammo box as my center console which usually always contains an emergency foil blanket, bug spray, sunscreen, gps, maps, flashlight, first aid kit, epi-pen, non perishable snacks, the owners manual, spare winch controller, zip ties. There is bottled water tucked away all over the truck and a large container of hand cleaner wipes zip tied to the cage inside the rear quarter window. Oh, and spare front d-shaft, rear d-shaft, front long side axle shaft, both rear axle shafts clamped to my cage.

With winter coming I'll have to put my TJ half cab soft window back up behind the cage to keep me comfortable during the chilly trips.

Back