Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Sun visor install help

Discussion in 'Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers' started by lowrd03vr6, July 20, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. lowrd03vr6

lowrd03vr6 New Member

City, State:
      Culpeper, VA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2008 Eddie Bauer
      So when I purchased my Explorer, the mirror cover on my driver’s side sun visor was broken off, which I now see is a very common problem. Recently the passenger side mirror cover broke as well. I ordered two brand new sun visors to replace the broken ones.

Today I went to install the driver side visor. When I removed the old visor, it looks like the previous owner cut the cord to the visor to prevent the mirror light from coming on. I pulled on the cord hoping to find the plug so that I can plug the new one into the factory harness, but I can seem to be able to pull it out.

My question is, do I need to remove any of the body panels to get to the harness/plug to hook up the new visor?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. 03 Explorer XLT

03 Explorer XLT Active Member

City, State:
      Granite City, IL
      2012 Limited
      I did my passenger side. There is a plug that gets trapped behind the sheet metal where it bends down to the roof liner at the visor. The connector has to go between the sheet metal and the roof liner to get to the hole. I was able to take off the visor and stick my finger in the hole to pull the roof liner down just enough to pull the connector through. You don't want to pull too much and deform the roof liner, just enough to slip the connector through. Swap the visors and push the connector back through. You'll have to poke it back in past the sheet metal (maybe an inch) so the roof liner can go flat against the sheet metal when you screw the visor back on.

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    4. rusty813

rusty813 Active Member

2006 Explorer E.B.
      you can get a new wiring harness from fordpartsgiants.com for about 30 40 dollars or i take it back to ford and let know whats up if you bought it from a dealership or call the owner who you purchase the vehicle from