• Register Today It's free!

sunroof shade

Mr Nelson

Reaction score
City, State
Red Bluff, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT 5.0 AWD
I was wondering how hard it would be to remove this from my explorer and put in a different one. the plastic on mine is broke on the handle portion, not sure if I can just replace the plastic or not but would like to get this new truck up to shape.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One side of mine was broken and I used a heavy duty super glue to put it back together. The repair came out pretty nice actually. Do you still have all of the pieces of yours?

Same problem here, that plastic on mine (97) has turned so brittle that it breaks just looking at it. Currently it is broken, and rattles, im afraid to touch it for it will crumble into nothingness.
To remove the shade the glass has to first be removed, I think there are two screws and each side that hold the glass to the frame, once these are removed, the glass lifts out, I think. Then the shade if pushed all the way to one side left or right, to get one side up, and then lift out. If I am wrong please correct me, I have not attempted this yet, but as you can tell am planning a mode of attack!
The only solution other than finding a good one still in one piece and not so brittle, is probably have to home make something.

Yeah my shade is rattling horribly as well, though at least if I push it all the way back, I am spared the noise until I can't stand the heat from the sun anymore.

Curse the *******s who mangled my EATC to such a spectacular degree!

Has anybody ever taken the headliner down to try to tighten/shim the sunroof parts?

I think I have a sunroof related rattle in the roof, but it's not up front. I either have a rattle in the sunroof brackets that bolt up into the roof or something towrds the back of the truck.

Thank you for the hints on this removal.

I stopped the rattle by wedging a thin strip of wood between the closed sun shade and the rear of the opening trim.

Unfortunately, my cover liner is falling off, sp I too need to remove the cover. In the Seattle rain....

1997 XLT 293,000 miles

Just for a little added info here. My wife and I removed my headliner to recover it, and the sunroof assembly looks to be all bolted to the roof from the inside. My shade lost all of the liner and looks terrible, but it looked even worse to try to get out even with the headliner already removed. So for now, I just pulled all the liner off of it and try to keep it back all the time. I probably will resort to a piece of wood or something to shim it and keep it from rattling so much though.

Back