Supercharged 4.0L ?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Supercharged 4.0L ??

scott

Reaction score
I have a '91 EB 4x4 with a Vortech supercharger, Flowmaster cat-back, Jacobs' wires, 4.10 gears, K&N filter(no airbox of course) and a Superchips custom EPROM. The truck runs really good and has given no problems other than the transmission. It surprises many cars including 5.0 mustangs (good cars, I used to own 2- one had a Paxton). If you do get a blower get a direct drive not planetary ball. The power from the ball system fades after it gets warm which doesn't take long. The "line" about superchargers using engine oil being a bad thing is just that, a "line" in my opinion. Before installing the Vortech I looked it over and noticed it's much easier to spin with your fingers than the Paxton. The "roots" type of blowers are direct drive but from what I've heard create very high heat and have the potential to cause vaporlock due to being so close to the fuel lines at the engine. But, everyone has their preferences and opinions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was flipping through some magazines the other day and saw Vortech advertising a supercharger for the 91-94 explorer. It is way overpriced for my budget, but I was wondering if anyone had any luck with supercharging??

------------------
The Oz Man -94XLT-
ozmatoz@hotmail.com

BBK also makes a Supercharger for the 91-94 Explorers. This is supposed to be like a factory OEM quality supercharger in the way that it doesn't harm any internal components or you do not have to "beef up" any components.
From what it seems like, you haven't had any problems with the Vortech; however, I have heard from other postings that the Paxton and Vortech may be a bit too powerful for the engine. Premature engine wear can occur. I do not have one so I cannot say its 100% true. Just something to consider when purchasing a supercharger.
The BBK runs about $3000 (w/o shipping) from explorer express - on a stock engine (no mods), you can expect approx. a 50% increase in horsepower.

The BBK unit is a roots type which is the type that I heard could cause problems with vaporlockdue to the heat from it being so close to the fuel lines. They give about the same power as Vortech but are slightly more expensive and require you to remove the upper and lower intake manifolds, fuel rails etc... which I wouldn't want to do personally. The power gains are "supposed" to be 40-45% with most superchargers. The Vortech uses 4-5 psi of boost which is really conservative, I'm not sure about the BBK. I believe they are actually a little higher than Vortech. They are good units but heat, price and install difficulty are considerations.

Thanks for the info guys! If I were ever to come into some money I would probably go with vortech. My friend threw one on his z28 and has had no problems, (except for two speeding tickets!)

------------------
The Oz Man -94XLT-
ozmatoz@hotmail.com

Back