1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport

Discussion in 'Elite Explorer Registry' started by vroomzoomboom, January 19, 2009.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. 4pointslow

4pointslow Explorer Torture Tester Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Gloucester City, NJ
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
    AWESOME!!!!
    More boost, and still under the hood!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. vroomzoomboom

vroomzoomboom Elite Canuck STOCK SUCKS! Elite Explorer

City, State:
    selkirk, manitoba
    98 supercharged 347 sport
    got the intake back today from the machinist

29.jpg 30.jpg 31.jpg 32.jpg

had to do a few small touch ups on it because he wasnt sure what i wanted done and didnt want to destroy something when it didnt need it. he and i were talking about a few things that we agreed on. one was that i should blend the ports in a little bit. if you look back a few pages to the link i posted, thats what the guy did to his, but what the machinist said not to bother with was smoothing the entire valley out, which was what i was going to do. i had also said its going to suck for #5 cylinder because all the heat from the water jacket is going to be transferred from it into the cylinder. nothing can be done about it, he just said that, that one cylinder might be a little lean then the others and to not freak out when i pull plugs and its white.
    i also started on the mount plate as well.

33.jpg 34.jpg

ignore the black paint. its my poor mans laydown dye. i cut the one corner a little short, it will still seal up if i blob some silicone on it. that or i might just have that corner touched up with weld. however, this part is driving me nuts

35.jpg 36.jpg

the front part of the plate will not lay flat. the other problem with this is that the water jacket cross over humps upwards. the machinist didnt want to machine it down because it is kinda thin to start with. the only way around it is for me to shave some off the bottom of the plate. not sure if i have it just right yet, or its hanging up some other place. i will worry about that tomorrow. 5 snapped jigsaw blades, one carbide that is more then likely garbage now, and a carp load of alum splinters told me it was time to call it a night.

• Like Like x 4
  4. vroomzoomboom

City, State:
    selkirk, manitoba
    the point of no return.

today was dooms day for the case. i literally did anything i could today to avoid cutting it up to, no lie because once this was done, its useless to the entire free world!
    also since the day i got it, i left the blower sealed up. figured the guy did a good job doing it, why screw up a good thing, so i never even saw what the inside looked like, let alone the rotors. looks like a bought me a mint supercharger!

37.jpg

38.jpg

then out came the stuff you cut things with

39.jpg

40.jpg

wanted to see how big it looked sitting on the motor. yea, still isnt small by any means.

41.jpg

so i pretty much found centreline for both the blower and intake because i wanted to see how much room i would have using dono's injector rails as mock up.

42.jpg 43.jpg 44.jpg

shes very tight! but it will fit. so now that i have a better idea where the injectors will land, i will start drilling the holes for them. want to do those first and avoid my grinder and cut off wheel for a little bit because.....

45.jpg

that happened. they dont call em death wheels for no reason. just happy i had a full face shield on, and my head wasnt near it when it exploded on me. if you have never had one of these rip apart on you, it will wake you up and grab your attention, and like REAL fast.
    so i figured this would be a good time to call it quits, grab something to eat, and a change of underwear.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Dono

Dono 347 V8 Limited turbo Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    00 Limited V8
    The lower intake looks like its fitting nicely in to the valley. Your work looks awesome.

I'm glad it was cooler today, or you probably wouldn't have had that face mask on. Wow, I don't even own one of those things.

6. gmanpaint

gmanpaint It's Always Something! Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    MO MO
    Modified 95 XLT
    I wear safety glasses under the damn face shield these days. 3 years ago, I had shot a metal sliver into the white of my eyeball. Watched it bleed, with the other eye. Doc found the lens was scratched, and when he swabbed it, the swab was full of metal dust. Man that was painful.

A Welding jacket/apron, is also a good thing to wear with them devil discs. I won't pick up the grinder w/o heavy leather gloves and face protection on. As Dono said, glad you had the shield on. Scary stuff.

The progress looks pretty snazzy too. Keep at it, looking forward to the pics!

7. vroomzoomboom

City, State:
    selkirk, manitoba
    i am pretty religious about wearing a shield when grinding. used to wear just eye glasses but would find sometimes stuff get past them, or would feel shavings or disk particles hitting my face so i started wearing a shield. however i never wear gloves when i grind. well, i wear rubber gloves sometimes. leather gloves IMO are to loose and if by chance the grinder catches them, off comes the fingers

8. gmanpaint

gmanpaint It's Always Something! Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    MO MO
    Modified 95 XLT
    To each their own I guess. lol I wear these type, tighter fitting on my big mitts.

gloves.jpg

9. vroomzoomboom

City, State:
    selkirk, manitoba
    the good news.

44.jpg

and a rough idea how close to the edge they are. might have to notch it a little, but i dont think that should hurt.

47.jpg

the bad news

45.jpg

not enough for the case to slip threw. this was something i was worried about.
    BUT!

the gooder news

46.jpg

that is around 3 3/4 raised up. which is the perfect height to box it for the innercooler. if i measured it right, i am still a inch shorter in height then the m112 is.

• Like Like x 4
  10. 4pointslow

City, State:
    Gloucester City, NJ
    98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
    That's a lot of room for an intercooler!

• Like Like x 1
  11. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Knoxville, TN
    98 Limited AWD
    That looks great. The extra volume/depth of the intake valley, gives needed space for a decent sized intercooler.

12. vroomzoomboom

City, State:
    selkirk, manitoba
    looks like i might be at a stand still for the moment. i need to find some alum so i can make the box the innercooler will sit in. i also have to drill the supercharger case so i can put the bolts needed to fasten it to the mount. thing is, i am not sure i trust myself to drill it because it has to be dead nuts on. if i am off in one direction or another, i drill through the case, and its game over. my buddy that is a machinist is back from holidays, but wants a few days to relax. so when he is ready i am going to have him look at it, and see if he can do it
    so i figured i would look at the snout. as mentioned before, i am going to use a m112 snout on it. a m122 snout is too short and might push the blower overtop of the cam sensor. that would also defeat putting in a innercooler.

48.jpg

the only other problem is the bolt patter is off by one bolt that is at the bottom. i am on the fence with this one. after all, it is a bolt on the bottom. it should still seal up. most of the tension will be on the top bolts from the belt pulling on it.

50.jpg

the black dot is where the hole would have to be. but, that would also mean i would have to get around that built up with weld as well, because if i just drill a hole in it, it will leak oil from it. will have to think on this one on what to do.
    looks like i am once again at a stand still

49.jpg

Last edited: September 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Dono

City, State:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    00 Limited V8
    If you place the order for the aluminum like last time, I can pick it up.

I'm with you, I think you need a machinist to drill those holes. Without the right equipment, you could be in for a world of hurt.

Coming along amazingly well.

14. vroomzoomboom

City, State:
    selkirk, manitoba
    thanks don. i tried calling them on friday, and i didnt get a answer, just their machine. i first have to figure out how i am going to do this. it occurred to me drilling the holes in the box i would have to make would be a problem possibly. the bit would have to be longer then 5 inches. not sure if i would trust that or not, because it would walk around in the hole, or worse, snap off. i would either have to get 2 pieces, drill them, then stack them on top of each other and get them welded, or make it the same shape as the m112 mount, and it would look like a upside down hat. but if i do it that way, i will also lose space on the inside because it would be narrower. however, i could then weld it all to the intake plate and it would never move, and the bolts would be on the outside.
    this will keep me awake tonight lol.
    also something was bugging me again about the height of everything so i went outside and remessured everything. if i did it right, i dont have 4 inches in height to put a cooler in it, i have 6! i wish i would have done this with the m112 years ago! the crap you think of in the shower!
    i also had a brain fart. i went to my folks today (my dads birthday today, he is 75 years old and still going strong thank god!) and i drove right past your place don. i could have dropped the elbow off to you.
    for those that dont know, evil is going to be a part of don's truck when his motor is done. the guy that bought my old EE m90 kit (geeze i have had a lot of superchargers on this truck!) wasnt using the intake elbow i made for it. don said he wanted to go to a larger throttlebody, but the stock elbow is only good for a 65mm throttle body. the one i made is good for 75mm. he shipped it back to me, and don will be using it.

40565367_10155506309342513_7744017633179074560_n.jpg

i think it will benefit from a coat of paint, but that will come at a cost of painting over the flames.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. 4pointslow

City, State:
    Gloucester City, NJ
    98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
    • Like Like x 1
  16. vroomzoomboom

City, State:
    selkirk, manitoba
    thanks! will look at it tomorrow when i can keep my eyes open! lol

17. vroomzoomboom

City, State:
    selkirk, manitoba
    so mother nature and it almost seems like a few other things have kicked me square in the jewels this weekend. starting with me witnessing some jerk bringing in a 99-00 sport at work to be shredded. it drives, it runs, THE FRIGGING AC STILL BLOWS COLD! and it only has around 151,000kms on it or 94,000 miles on it.....however the hoarder in me already grabbed the steering wheel (mint leather one with no shedding either) rims and tires which looked new as well. im also going to be pulling the motor out of it at some point as long as the other shift doesnt get a hold of it.
    i also planned going to the last as well biggest car show they have here today, so i didnt bother getting any material to do more to the mount. because i dont have a garage, evil sits outside and i was going wash her down the night before then head to the show......until it started raining last night. wake up this morning to find out it had rained again and streets covered in puddles everywhere. no point in washing it then trying to tip toe to the show. cloudy and looking like it would rain again, i started to do some small cleaning on the valley pan, when.......power goes out...
    now with nothing to do i sit and wait. then it starts to clear up and be nice and sunny out. figure ok, i havent washed the ranger in a while i will go do that. get it done, come home to power! but still pissed i missed the show thinking it was going to rain. so anyway, here are some more of todays work.

51.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

54.jpg

all the hard edges are rounded off in hopes of the air to flow a little better. i was going to take the cast roughness off it, but the machinist who did the machining to it told me to leave it. i also dropped the blower case off to my buddy. he is going to see if he can drill the holes in it for me but may take a bit because he has to do it on his time.
    so yea, one let down after another this weekend. cant even go to cruise night because shortly after i finished washing the ranger guess what? i rained again so now the streets are soaked once more
    think i will sit back and see if it snows today.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dono

City, State:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    00 Limited V8
    I missed the show today as well. It probably wouldn't have been great because of the weather anyway.

Sounds like you scored some great parts, so that can't be a bad thing.

As for the delays you are having, I think you are moving along really fast.

19. 4pointslow

City, State:
    Gloucester City, NJ
    98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
    Cheer up, your are doing amazing things right now and they take time.
    I have a feeling that this new setup is going to change the whole game.
    Keep up the good work.

• Like Like x 1
  20. vroomzoomboom

City, State:
    selkirk, manitoba
    i picked up the case from buddy today.

42914381_2137396282985029_9113693114874200064_n.jpg

we both are hoping it will work. he drilled and tapped them to a 1/4 inch coarse thread. i wanted to go get the alum i would need for it, but it almost seems like i have been doing things for everyone else this weekend so far, and not my own stuff. i was also looking at the sides where i cut the mounting tabs off. yea, i will be spending some quality time with a file trying to smooth out all the marks i left there. winter is also coming fast as well. looks like the sweat shop will be turning back to the gas chamber soon.

• Like Like x 4
  21. vroomzoomboom

City, State:
    selkirk, manitoba
    well, i can sorta stomach it now.....sorta

before

56.jpg

after

57.jpg 58.jpg

i'd love to do nothing more then to send it down to @Turdle and have him powdercoat both the case, and snout, but if i do that, it will trap heat inside, and i dont want that. what i am going to do is find something like bbq paint and blend the bottom of the case in and paint the snout. then theoretically the case is done. theoretically...

• Like Like x 2

We Support Our Troops!