Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport

Discussion in 'Elite Explorer Registry' started by vroomzoomboom, January 19, 2009.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. vroomzoomboom

vroomzoomboom Elite Canuck STOCK SUCKS! Elite Explorer

City, State:
    selkirk, manitoba
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    98 supercharged 347 sport
    and thats a hell of a lot of snow for you guys at once down there. didnt think you got snow this early.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. vroomzoomboom

City, State:
    selkirk, manitoba
    sold the truck i had up for sale. funny thing was i was at work when the guy wanted to see it. i had my kid meet him at my place so he could take it for a ride. while i was on the phone with my kid, i heard the guy as him if i had a white ranger a few years back, because he swore he bought a different truck from me. well, turns out i did sell him a truck about 7 years ago. he said he was pretty happy with it, so he had no problems buying this from from me. i can now truly say i have repeat customers lol.
    with that said, i went and got the intake mount welded up.

70.jpg

then tonight i started opening everything up, and also probabley wearing a pound of alum shavings in the process

71.jpg

just to give you a idea how big the opening is

72.jpg

and the rest of it

73.jpg

74.jpg

this should also breath a whole lot better then the m112 because some of the front is blocked, and the opening is only around 3 inches wide. this one......

75.jpg

almost all of the port is open

76.jpg

but i did make once again a small screw up. i was going to blow the entire top open when i discovered that the supercharger case gets smaller at the back. i drilled two small holes to guide me where to cut, so i will have to get them welded shut. i did a small change of plans also. i was going to leave it completely open were the relief valve is. i am now only going to cut a hole open with a holesaw big enough for the valve to open. i figure that it will give it more area for the supercharger to sit on, and less chance for the case to distort once its bolted down. also dons fuel rails i used for mock up, i discovered that they are the wrong ones for what he needs, so he generously donated them to me to use. so next weekend if i am not busy, i will mount them or figure out how i am going to mount them, and also do some more filing to the mount to make it look a little nicer and not look like something some guy made in his shed.....like i am doing right now.

• Like Like x 2
  4. gmanpaint

gmanpaint It's Always Something! Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Once it is finished, you could get it 3d scanned, and put into file for a laser cut kit. :)

5. vroomzoomboom

City, State:
    selkirk, manitoba
    i was thinking that at one point, but the place near me doesnt have or doesnt cut 1/2 plate alum. otherwise i would. that and most of the work on this it the lower part of the intake or if you like the minty one i maimed.

also if y'all woundering what that hackery is in the one corner, i had to grind some of the bottom away so it would clear the water passage.

and today's safety tip from nine didgets doug, make sure before you plug the sawsall in, that the trigger is not locked in the "on" possession........not that it happen or anything, but jus' say'n.

• Like Like x 2
  6. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    If you can get it scanned, there are places down here that can cut it. Water Jet works too, have anybody there that does that?

I just think it would be cool to turn your hard work prototype, into something enjoyed by others, and a little side scratch for your effort, doesn't hurt.

7. 4pointslow

4pointslow Explorer Torture Tester Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Gloucester City, NJ
    98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
    Awesome!
    You have got a lot done so far, next year is going to be very interesting!
    I am thinking a track day will be necessary once it is all together.

• Like Like x 1
  8. vroomzoomboom

City, State:
    selkirk, manitoba
    this is true. i forgot that one of the guys i know in PA can cut that, and probably weld it to (not a forum member, but a ex boyfriend of a non active member). also, i did try doing that with the m112 mount, and no one wanted one. too expensive a few said, but if they knew the work that goes into making something you cant buy, they would change their tune.

oh, that will be a must! was with dono yesterday at his motor builders place, and the numbers the guy was saying his motor should make NA was pretty eye opening, let alone turbo'd. i hope he (we) can get his new motor sorted out quickly after its in, and we both go to the track the same day.your invited :D

• Like Like x 1
  9. ahodges

ahodges Elite Explorer

Albums:
    City, State:
    Millbury, OH
    1996 XLT - 347 S/C
    I'm still quietly observing... I really like the 3D scan/ laser cut idea. I can think of a place or 2 in Toledo that has the capability of doing that too, but I don't know if they would on such a small scale. Let's be honest, the people that would be interested in this are probably only a couple, maybe just you and I. Don is turbo, Jon is V6 and there aren't too many other people crazy enough to hot rod these trucks the way we do.

• Like Like x 2
  10. vroomzoomboom

City, State:
    selkirk, manitoba
    or are worth doing. lets face it, either most v8s died when cash for clunkers was going, or they are rusting back to earth

11. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    What about all the mustang groups? They are growing and growing, thanks to shows like Street outlaws. Wouldn't this work on those builds, since a lot of them are building older engine styles?

12. vroomzoomboom

City, State:
    selkirk, manitoba
    it would have to have a short dress on the front. explorer front dress and mustang (except sn95) have different lengths. also, i cant say for sure this will clear over top of the distributor, and will tuck under the hood

• Like Like x 1
  13. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Never mind...

throw that out the window gif.gif

• Like Like x 2
  14. vroomzoomboom

City, State:
    selkirk, manitoba
    Was busy as hell yesterday, and today was kinda lazy. The only thing I did was fit the rails with the mounts they come with, and whatda ya know! They fit like a glove! I thought I was going to have to get small blocks welded on, but looks like I won’t have to now. I think I will just drill some holes, tap them and call it a day. Will have to use some sealant for them, but I don’t think that will hurt me. My plan is to also use the rails for handles if I even have to take the blower off the truck. I want to have it so the blower, mount, and rails can be lifted off in one shot. For the m112, the few times I have had to pull the intake off, I have always left the rails on and lifted it using them. Granted this is way heavier, but I guess I will see what happens. Hopefully the o rings don’t leak fuel, or game over.

99C5A487-A456-45DD-AD78-EA6C815EAD87.jpeg
    300A7EAF-7443-4A01-9E7B-44F71F5FA44E.jpeg
    B7F727BD-1C22-4561-B83A-F1903BFF3501.jpeg

I will also do some more cutting as well. I want to chop that overhang off and make it as flush to the back of the supercharger so I can gain as much space on the backside as I can. It’s still a unknown just how close it’s going to be to the firewall. The m112 I can just fit my fingers behind it, so I believe this will be even tighter

12215B01-4EB9-466F-884A-BD1660139CE9.jpeg
    231609F8-E764-4A37-BF25-99AF43BA509A.jpeg

Last edited: December 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  15. vroomzoomboom

City, State:
    selkirk, manitoba
    Once again, been busy so this was put on the back burner. It’s a little colder now, but I am still able to heat the gas chamber up. Sold the ranger I had, then bought my first ever turd gen, errr 3rd gen and have been playing around with it here and there. I’m off work over the holidays and planned on doing some more to the intake.....yea planed on...
    First order was to drill and tap holes for the rails to mount to. Fired up the heater for the gas chamber to let it warm up for about haft a hour. Lined up everything and went to drill the first hole only to find out I can’t drill it straight on and will have to drill it at a small angle due to the overhang. Well ya gotta do what you gotta do and live with it. First hole drilled. Then also discovered that I can’t tap it once again because of the overhang getting in the way. Lightbulb goes off in my head “turn it upside down dummy!”
    Perfect I think to myself!
    Then the lightbulb shattered when this happen

435F2A57-403F-48E8-A7C7-6C6E8BDE2684.jpeg

You know the saying “you’re a broken tap away from it being a 20 min job to a 8 hour ordeal!”? Yea that. Looks like I’m going back inside to watch tv and try to figure out my new problem.
    (Runs off screaming into the darkness of night)

Last edited: December 26, 2018
  16. Dono

Dono 347 V8 Limited turbo Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    00 Limited V8
    :(
    Yup, just walk away. some days are like that

17. vroomzoomboom

City, State:
    selkirk, manitoba
    i instantly had a flashback when we were doing your headers

18. 4pointslow

4pointslow Explorer Torture Tester Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Gloucester City, NJ
    98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
    Search on youtube for how to remove a broken tap in aluminum, there are many ideas and one will probably work for you.
    I just saw one where the part was put in water to boil.
    There was also a carbide drill bit that seemed to drill right into the broken tap, and even some chemical ones that dissolved the bit.

When I drilled and tapped my supercharger adaptor plate I used a little oil and only went as far as the tap would start to bind.
    After binding started, I unscrewed it and cleaned out the hole with brake clean and compressed air.
    Then some oil and run the tap back in until it binds again.
    Long process but I never broke a tap.

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. boominXplorer

boominXplorer Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Virginia Beach, Va
    00 4x4 Mounty
    Small carbide burr or Dremel to eat out the center so you can grab it with something.

20. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Ugh... That's always a bummer.

Is there enough tap exposed you can weld a nut onto it (fill the center), and back it out?

If not, you know the drill. Pun intended.

• Like Like x 1
  21. vroomzoomboom

City, State:
    selkirk, manitoba
    not much has happen lately. i did get that tap out however. the upper part is now done as far as i can go until i can lay it in the truck. which gave me a idea last week. evil sits outside and there is no way i am going to mess with it being this cold and no garage. BUT, dono's truck sits with no motor right now, and in a garage. he gave me the thumbs up to dunk the mock up block (which happens to be his old stroker block so it can say its final goodbye to his truck) and heads into his truck, then put the new mount and blower into his truck to see how everything is going to fit. this also means i would have to bring the block, mount, supercharger, and motor picker to his place. couldnt do it last weekend, its way to cold this weekend, and he wont be able to help in the next 2 weeks either.
    so now we wait.
    i did manage to wake evil up yesterday from its sleep. havent drove it or really ran it since late october, early novemeber. it was also around -35C with the wind. she did remind me about something. i have a header gasket leak. i also found another problem thats related and the steering shaft has started rubbing on the header (no dout in my mind thats why i have a header leak). it only rubs when the wheel is at a certain spot, and makes a sound i cant really describe, but its loud as hell in the truck. to the point i remember i thought my steering system was on its way out this summer, so i replaced the pump. when that didnt fix it i figured it was the rack and was going to drive it till it blew up. so something someplace has moved causing this clearance problem. new motor mounts, either this summer that has past, or the one before it, and a poly trans mount as well. will have to figure this one out i guess in the spring time.