Superchip freak out computer?

01EB5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Allendale, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Eddie Bauer V-8 AWD
Have you guys read about superchips freaking out a ECU? i had one in my truck for about 3 yeras but lately the truck has been freaking out stalling and stuff so I took out the chip and its been running ok now, just less power and sloppy shifts :-(. i ran the chip for about 100,000 miles with no problems. is this common for them to go bad?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you guys read about superchips freaking out a ECU? i had one in my truck for about 3 yeras but lately the truck has been freaking out stalling and stuff so I took out the chip and its been running ok now, just less power and sloppy shifts :-(. i ran the chip for about 100,000 miles with no problems. is this common for them to go bad?

I had similar issues once with my SCT chip on my '00 Sport. Turned out it was a connectivity issue. I re-seated the chip and all was fine.

In order to avoid that issue repeating, I went with an XC2 flasher. Never have to worry about connection problems if you go that route.

Where did you get the "chip"?

Bought the chip off the internet from someone. It was about 4 - 5 years ago so I am not sure where it came from, but it got reprogrammed for my truck when i bought it. It seemed to work well until now. I took it off and my truck has gone 300 miles so far with no engine problems so I am thinking it was the chip.

It was probably due to bad connections.
No harm in trying to clean the connector on the PCM, and trying it again.

You have to scrub the connector pretty good,

Back