Surge Brake Controller Included in Class III Towing Package? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Surge Brake Controller Included in Class III Towing Package?

Jeffrey Smith

Reaction score
City, State
Atlantic Highlands
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
I just purchased a very nice 2017 Explorer XLT with a Class III 5000 lb Tow Package from Tom's Ford in Hazlet NJ. They had the CPO vehicle with a tow package in my price range. Does that package include a Surge Brake Controller? If I need to add it aftermarket can Ford Service do it and if not, how should I search for an outside provider??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jeffrey, welcome to the forum from Ocean County (Toms River). I would contact the dealer you purchased it from & ask them.

If you have the factory tow package, it is rewired. Go buy a brake controller (prodigy p3) and the harness. Harness will snap into the plug under the dash. Mount the controller and plug other end of harness into that. It's a 5-10 min install.

I am a n00b to trailer brakes and controllers, but don't surge brakes work without a controller?

I am a n00b to trailer brakes and controllers, but don't surge brakes work without a controller?

I was thinking the same thing.

I think the OP means electric brake controller.

Back