Suspension Lift Kit for 2005 Sport Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Suspension Lift Kit for 2005 Sport Trac

tlambing

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
kansas city
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT
Ok. I have had my Sport Trac for 12 years and am finally wanting to lift it. I've thought about this in the past and now it seems to be harder to find the kit that I will need. Well, I called several truck shops, and they couldn't find anything still made for the Sport Trac. Granted they looked in his system for a few minutes. I asked if I were to buy the kit could they install, and the answer was yes.

I don't want a body lift but want to do a suspension lift. Does anyone know what is on the market that I can buy? I'm thinking 3-inch suspension lift kit would work... Appreciate any help and want to get this done the right way.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok back to revisiting this question. I see lots of info on here but I don't know enough to understand what I need. I'm deferring to the experts here to guide me if you don't mind. Question 1. What is a good lift height that I can use for camping and being off road? Don't really do any 4 wheeling but like to get wherever I want to go. I camp, hike, bike, and fish. I like going to Colorado and like knowing that I have 4WD and I use it. I will also drive this in snow and on days that are not convertible friendly in Missouri. Doesn't need to be a monster truck but I want it to be aggressive. I was thinking 3 inches but maybe I could go higher and it would look good?

Question 2- what size tires look best with suggested height?

Question 3- I've heard suspension lift is the way to go vs a body lift and I am good with the extra expense. Please confirm- suspension lift is better?

Question 4- can someone who has done this recently point me to what I will need to buy and from where? What works best with what I am looking to accomplish?

I used a 3” body lift and am happy with the clearance.
There is no frame hanging out that looks out of place and have 32” tires under with no rubbing and decent clearance.
As an added bonus it’s giving me clearance for my 302 swap.
Overall the BL looks very clean.

I "Think" you should be able to use the front half of a Superlift 4" suspension Ranger kit on your ST. I "Think" they are the same from the firewall forward as your ST, except cosmetic/style differences. You will clear 33's easily, with no trimming to the body, bumpers, or molding. 35's would need some trimming to clear while using off road.

Superlift Suspension Lift Kit

For the rear, you will need to either install 4" lift leaf springs, or do an axle flip (SOA). The flip will net you 5" of rear lift using your stock leaf packs if they still give stock ride height now. The SOA kits are made by a few company's, but I prefer Ruff Stuff Specialties kits myself.

This kit will work great if your not a hardcore trail rider. You will need to pay attention to the warning given by Superlift about your front driveshaft. It wears them out due to the changed angle from the front differential drop. This kit can be installed in a long weekend with a helper, in a home garage/driveway.

Search out others use of this kit here in the registry, & off road fab sections.

If I were you I'd go with either a 2" torsion twist and an AAL in the rear, or do the 3" BL (or do both like I did and run 35s).
Both of these options are much cheaper and more readily available than a super lift that is no longer made for these trucks.

The 2" lift will allow you to fit some 32s comfortably and the bl by itself will allow you to fit 33s. Like I mentioned, if you combine them both, you can run up to 35s. The BL on these trucks is different than any other truck in that you don't see massive gaps and you don't have the frame rail exposed underneath, especially if you have side steps.

Ok guys. Finally ready to do this ASAP. (01STrunner- I sent you a message if you are still on here wondering if you can guide me and is the advice still current?)

Anyone else? Please help...

I see lots of good advice given already, what specifically do you want to know?
IMO, the best thing you could do is read read read through older threads to get a good understanding on what’s involved in lifting, the pros and cons of each type, and apply that to what results you want.
Also, determine now what size tire you want to run, then read to see if you would need an axle gear ratio change to run them, and if so, decide if it’s worth the rather substantial cost involved in that.

Back