1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

suspension question

Discussion in 'Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits' started by petenice00, December 6, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. petenice00

petenice00 New Member

City, State:
      rochester, ny
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1996 xlt
      Hi

My girlfriends 1996 Explorer has been pulling extremely to the right (when she drives the steering wheel is turned to the right to compensate for the pull). Tire pressure is ok, although she hasn't had an alignment since early fall. Even after the alignment was done, there was still a slight pull.

Before I bring the car to my mechanic, what suspension parts should I consider for replacement? The car has 125K miles (mostly hiway driving).

Thanks

Pete

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

City, State:
      Itasca IL
      '96 XLT 4.0L OHV
      Pete,

Sounds like your g/f's truck might have a caliper dragging. I can't think of any suspension parts that would cause the truck to pull right. When was the last time the brakes were done/checked? Some other Forum members should chime in with their $0.02. Wait & see what they think.

Good luck - Dave.

4. petenice00

petenice00 New Member

City, State:
      rochester, ny
      1996 xlt
      Ok, I've got something to work with tomorrow when I bring that monster in. I don't recall a brake job in the last two years but the truck seems to have adequate braking as it is. Thanks for the input!

5. jtf_broncoii

jtf_broncoii New Member

City, State:
      Lansing, Michigan
      1/2 Bronco II - 1/2 Exp.
      jack up the front and spin both tires. if the right one drags bingo, but i would be leaning towards a bad tire. rotate the two fronts - left to right. and see if it pulls to the left. if it does, you gota bad tire. i work at a garage and that is usually the cause of a pull when alignment is in speck. alignmnt should be fine for a while, usualy until a suspension part needs replaced.

6. petenice00

petenice00 New Member

City, State:
      rochester, ny
      1996 xlt
      post-alignment followup

I had the tires rotated before the other shop took it in for alignment. Said the alignment was way out of spec (hence the strong pull). Her car is much better, but in my opinion, still pulls a bit to the right. SO, if we consider suspension part replacements, what are the usual suspects?

7. 410Fortune

410Fortune ELITE BRONCO2ERER Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
      7B Panhandle
      B2 Mod
      ball joints, tie rods :)

8. petenice00

petenice00 New Member

City, State:
      rochester, ny
      1996 xlt
      misalignment - back at it

I'm really surprised that Ford techs did not come back after the second alignment and said your tie rods look worn or did a more thorough inspection of the suspension. It shouldn't be that hard once the car is on the lift. I think my GF should take her car to another mechanic.

With bad ball joints or tie rods, should there be any associated noise indicating failure or damage? Creaking, squeeking, etc?

9. becker69

becker69 Active Member

City, State:
      Centennial, CO
      01 Sport Trac
      I am researching similar but different Suspension issues... if you hit the Search tab towards the top of this page... type in Ball joints, Upper Control Arm, Tie rod or anything similar and you will get a complete wealth of input on Suspension sounds and troubleshooting... I am doing the same and recieved some real helpful advice... hope this helps a bit...

Also you can read a bit on bushings and replacement parts you can work yourself.