Swap to 4.0 Ranger Engine and manual 4x4 transmission...Thoughts/advice? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swap to 4.0 Ranger Engine and manual 4x4 transmission...Thoughts/advice?

EmoryEagle

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer 4.0 4x4
Hello all - i'm new to the forum and would greatly appreciate your insights....

Background:
My '06 4.0L 4x4 explorer's engine recently bit the dust. The truck is still in great condition and i'm evaluating my options. The engine must be replaced and before the engine died the transmission was starting to hesitate and not shift properly. So, if i'm going to rebuild/replace the engine I'd almost certainly replace the transmission at the same time....which brings me to my quesiton:

Question: The Ford Rangers of the same generation also use the 4.0 SOHC engine. I wonder your all's thoughts on swapping in a Ranger 4.0 SOHC and a Ranger Manual 4x4 transmission.... which i realize would include the clutch pedal install and all that. Would I also need to swap computers? Would i have to shorten the drive shafts to the rear and front axels to make this fit?

To head off the question of why a ranger package: (1) I want a manual transmission (2) from what i've seen the Ranger 4.0 SOHC's don't have nearly the failure rate as the explorer's and (3) I think I'd consider buying a salvaged Ranger to scavenge all of the required parts from.

Thanks for reading!

The 4.0L SOHC is the same motor between same year Ford vehicles. Differences are going to be very minor between an Explorer and a Ranger 4.0. It is possible that the failure rate you are seeing might have something to do with the timing chains being under less stress in the lighter Ranger application, or, simply that fewer Rangers are equipped with 4.0s and so you don't hear about them failing as often as Explorers (where 4.0s are very common).

Given that by 2006 the Explorer and Ranger did not share a chassis any more, the trans swap is slightly harder, but I'm sure it could be done. You would need a different PCM and I'm not sure how all that will jive with your factory transponder key and anti-theft. Alternately you could possibly get a new tune for your existing PCM to be happy with a manual transmission, or hook up resistors as necessary to simulate the auto transmission solenoids that the PCM wants to "see". I am not sure about driveshafts but think it might work out since your T-case shouldn't have to move at all.

Back