Swap wheels/tires 2002 Ranger & 98 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swap wheels/tires 2002 Ranger & 98 Explorer

I have a 98 Explorer w/ tires P235/65R15 M+s and an 2002 Ranger w/ P245/75R16 M+S.
Both are 4WD.
Can I do a total swap?
I would say no.

While they both share the same lug pattern (5x4.5"), there is quite a bit of difference in just the tire specs.

A 235/65/15 tire is 27" diameter x 9-1/4" wide (Ranger?)
A 245/75/16 tire is 30-1/2" diameter x 9-5/8" wide (Explorer?)

Also, a 15" rim will most likely not clear the calipers/rotors of a vehicle designed for 16" rims, so while the smaller tires might clear the wheel well, the rim will not clear the brakes.

I would be concerned with tire clearance mounting the larger tires on the vehicle designed for the smaller ones. That's over a 3" difference. So while the larger rim will clear the brakes designed for a smaller rim, the tire may not clear the wheel wells and or suspension components.

Then backspacing and offset need to be considered as well. Are these both OEM rims?

domct203,
Thanks much! Saves me time & trouble, even though I would've tried 1 first, like front driver side.

I thought of wheel well space & clearing suspension components. But totally didn't think about clearing calipers/rotors! THANKS AGAIN!

And yes- both OEM rims.

I would say no.

While they both share the same lug pattern (5x4.5"), there is quite a bit of difference in just the tire specs.

A 235/65/15 tire is 27" diameter x 9-1/4" wide (Ranger?)
A 245/75/16 tire is 30-1/2" diameter x 9-5/8" wide (Explorer?)

Also, a 15" rim will most likely not clear the calipers/rotors of a vehicle designed for 16" rims, so while the smaller tires might clear the wheel well, the rim will not clear the brakes.

I would be concerned with tire clearance mounting the larger tires on the vehicle designed for the smaller ones. That's over a 3" difference. So while the larger rim will clear the brakes designed for a smaller rim, the tire may not clear the wheel wells and or suspension components.

Then backspacing and offset need to be considered as well. Are these both OEM rims?

Back