Swaping engine (Pictures)

Arsenil

Reaction score
City, State
Monte-Carlo
Year, Model & Trim Level
Limited 97 4.0l 4WD
Hey guys what up?

Lattely i had some issue with my Timing chain, i to be sure i opened the front part so i took of :

- Radiator & Hoses Radiator
- Took of Fan Clutch
- Took of Alternator
- Steering pump
- Stabilizator Pulley
- Cranckshaf Pulley ( For that i made a tool, less expenssive )
- Took of the water pump
- Took of the front timing cover

Then what i was expecting, came true.

So i asked some people in the family who are working as mechanic in buses

What should i do :

1 - Repair for 400$ ( Timing chain kit + Spy Joint + Bearing + Crankshaft pulley )
2 - Change engine ( Exact same, exept for the year 2000. ) but still be a SOHC 4.0 and it has got only 19262.5 Miles on it so kind of brand new. Everything come with it but not the cores...

They all told me take a new one it will be lot of money for the engine, but if you keep the old one and you repair it. No one can't tell you that in 20'000 more miles you will get another issue...

So i think i'm gonna go in the safest way. Swaping engine.

They're is some pics of the car that i'm working on it

explorertiming2.jpg

explorertiming9.jpg

explorertiming17.jpg

explorertiming16.jpg

explorertiming8.jpg

explorertiming7.jpg

explorertiming15.jpg

explorertiming13.jpg

explorertiming12.jpg

explorertiming11.jpg

explorertiming10.jpg

explorertiming3.jpg

explorertiming4.jpg

explorertiming5.jpg

explorertiming6.jpg

Images are not in order, it's just to show up my project. And waiting on your advice.

And what i'm going to do with the old one, i'll rebuild it with performance part if one day, the new one die ^^...

See ya, and if some one need some advice for anything ask for it no problem.

Also, i'll post in a few day pictures and drawing of the remover tool that i made. Like this you will all be able to do it for nothing ^^

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you find an sohc out of a, say, 2005 mustang?

It looks like a ton of guys are doing this. A lower mile, newer motor that has the timing chain upgrades done at the factory. Apparently they can be had pretty inexpensively.

Looking good, man...keep rockin' it!

Can you find an sohc out of a, say, 2005 mustang?

It looks like a ton of guys are doing this. A lower mile, newer motor that has the timing chain upgrades done at the factory. Apparently they can be had pretty inexpensively.

i don't know i have to look arround, maybe in germany. Not sure because where i live people sucks lol. But the upgrade will be the same or will have have some issue with the automatic things and my 4wd system?

if you think it's the best with a guarantee of work i do it lol

Do a search on 'mustang sohc'.
Here's a thread. Give it a read:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244859

I can't help but think this would be perfect for you in your situation.
I have read other threads of guys that have dropped them in as a replacement with no issues at all.

Just something to consider. It might help you get better results as a great price.

I'm in the middle of doing just that

Hey guys what up?

They all told me take a new one it will be lot of money for the engine, but if you keep the old one and you repair it. No one can't tell you that in 20'000 more miles you will get another issue...

So i think i'm gonna go in the safest way. Swaping engine.

I wouldn't swap in a used engine without replacing all of the cam timing components first. The replacement engine is likely to fail in the exact same way as your old engine did.

Looking good, man...keep rockin' it!

Thanks Bro, i'll take care of it... I going to make it all flat green ( military ) and put us air force decal or marines, don't know for the moment. But for the moment i wait till the engine will run perfectly...

I have to pull this one off and put an newer one. Then change the flywheel and the clucth... Like that all brand new..

See ya, and stay tuned.

Back